1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Book The Great Pain Deception

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Enrique, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

Is The Great Pain Deception available in audio?

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

As of now, I don't believe it is, but I think Steve might be working on getting it in audio. Of course, I imagine that is a lengthy process, and may take a while.

3. Forest

Steve's back!

It's been great seeing Steve's recent posts in the forum, so I thought I would bump this thread for people who aren't yet familiar with his book. It's a great book.

F

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Hey, I read that book, it's fantastic! I don't care much for the author though. He's too stuffy, needs to loosen up some.

5. Stock Trader

What I learned from SteveO, "Happiness first, and good health will follow..." Deep inside me was not happy were I was. This is my current stage of my recovery. Thanks Steve!!!!!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Steve Ozanich

Hey StockTrader, you're welcome. For me, healing was all about happiness, since I view happiness as a lack of conflict. Some could call it a sense of peace. No matter what you call it, it comes down to the uniting of the divided mind. We suffer from division, separation, loneliness, most of which we bring on ourselves. My point of that last line of the book was that pain cannot live in a truly happy individual, at peace, content, self aware, and filled with purpose. Happiness is also a personal choice.

I'm nearing an end to this round of the TMS book campaign. Much has been done, some interesting stuff learned, people met, lives changed. I would give Forrest the information but I don't want people to get TMS--Too Much Steve.

Don't give up. Healing takes time, it's about life, not about pain. Changing the life can take time. Change also occurs from within.

Steve

Forest, mousemom and Stock Trader like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve and his book are both great. His journey to healing pain is incredible and inspiring.

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

He's also pretty funny :D

9. Steve Ozanich

He makes me laugh. But I'm easy. One of these days I'm going to read his book and see what all the hoopla is. Then I'm going to look up the word hoopla to see what it means.

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve the ability to have happiness and enjoy life is a virtue.
    As time passed and I grew older, I became too serious. Everything I did, I did like a drill sergeant.
    There's nothing wrong with being prepared for war but there's the other end of the spectrum.
    We have to have that peace on the inside, a loose child running free and for me
    the years from 29 to 39 had some very dramatic roles indeed.

You'd think with being a Preacher and all that id been the happiest and most content person alive.
    I was in the sense that my soul was not in jeopardy and I had a personal relationship with my creator.
    Really I cant think of a time when I wasn't more at peace to begin with-(the first three years)
    I remember receiving the baptism of the holy spirit and the anointing was all over me, still is.
    I had 50 healings my first month (laying on of hands )
    Most churches I went to at this time didn't like who I was or what I was doing.
    Free as a child with a weapon to defeat sickness and open the blind eyes and free those in oppression
    I was on a new level Steve, something I only could dream of in the years leading up to this gift.

As the years went on and religious politics got involved I was told that healing wasn't for today in the sense that the gift was only for the apostles.
    This was my first church after getting saved and I loved them with all my heart- I still love them, but I knew they were in the wrong.
    I was very educated in the word and had the gift of faith - How could they tell me not to lay hands on the sick.
    I had to leave with a broken heart cause so many people at the church were still in need of being healed.

You have to understand I was traveling to the two hospitals here in Rome GA on a daily basis going to the sick floors.
    That's floors 4,5,6 here. I don't like calling the floors that but when someone's there , the chance that they will recover are long and hard
    I remember it was usually the 6th floor that had the worst cases- in which the folks there weren't thought to be going home.
    That was my main floors id visit- id ask them if it was ok if I prayed for them and the love and healing I saw in there eyes were powerful
    I had my healing ministry and I would always call the next day to see how the folks were doing that I had prayed for.
    They were already at home the nurse would say and the healing and joy it gave my heart was over whelming.

And now my own church was telling me this wasn't meant to be, the bible says my people are destroyed from a lack of knowledge (emphasis mine)
    Now im not saying anything other than they - the clergy- needed to understand those verses on a greater level.
    I left the church as said above with a broken heart- (depression, repression)

It didn't take long for me to find a small church with about 15 members and they all had gifts.
    It was so sweet to be somewhere that I was understood and the child inside, was happy and joyful playing in the fields of hope again.
    We had two meetings a week and the miracles I saw in that little church were remarkable.
    Its the power of our own faith when we put all the religion aside and just believe.
    The pastor was a good man and I was a member for close to a year before the doors had to be shut.
    See I was 34 and all the other members were 85 and up. With love and hugs we departed and the young child began to hurt again.

After this I was well prepared to run a church of my own If they didn't mind that I prayed for the sick and set the captives free.
    after preaching for quit some time my pastor at the new church started to say bad things toward me and like night from day
    he changed into someone I didn't know anymore. I had loved ones in the church and I had to go house to house
    and let them know I wouldn't be preaching there anymore. It broke my heart and at 36 I was back in depression with repression

I decided to start my own school of wisdom up since id started my own business.
    It helped sooth me as much as I would allow.
    It consisted of higher learning in all the arts of wisdom and healing that I could think of.
    I take great admiration in saying 3 of those workers are in there on line of healing services today.

Still I was lost, like something had been taken and I didn't think I was supposed to be preaching if the way was not made.
    I hurt in my heart for 4 years leading up to the tms relapse when I was 40.
    I could help others heal and I knew there was a way to heal myself I just couldn't put a finger on it.
    as time passed and I fell deeper and deeper into depression I hurt more till I couldn't get out of bed,
    I couldn't even tie my own shoes.

Here I was a man god had called to heal the sick and open blind eyes and I couldn't even roll over in bed without being in pure agony
    Now I know Steve- now I know. It was me holding the hurt in, it was the repressions cause I was to turn the other cheek
    it wasn't god mad at me and it wasn't that I couldn't raise myself from the ashes.
    It was straight out a loss of enjoyment and to much seriousness when I needed to be laughing id get more serious.

It was a loss of relationship with who I was and a loss of hope in what I was.
    Then as if by an unseen hand I ran across Sarnos book and right there was the answer staring back at me.
    I believe it was about 60 days and I met you in the forum- I wrote about my issues and you were the first to answer.
    I knew if I could get your book that it would help me too. I just didn't know if it was going to be able to beat Sarno.
    See I was already having big leaps of recovery from Sarnos books- small leaps actually but when your bedridden a small leap is huge.

Then I read how you would work out and keep at it, not to try and kill yourself but to show the tms who was the director.
    You told your story of trial and tribulation. I wads in awe , another man had been in pain longer than me
    and he had the answer in combination right along with Dr. Sarno.

You told how you heard the Nike commercial; just do it and then from that page
    I put your book down and went outside struggling to bend and picked up a horse shoe.
    I threw that horseshoe about ten feet and this was the beginning of my physical recovery.
    Then I decided to move up to throwing two horse shoes.

I remember my first game was with my 8 yr. old nephew and he wondered why I had the poles so close together.
    I said well little mickey its for you can throw them a lot easier. I never talked much about the pain.
    I always knew in my heart there was an answer. Now after I began to get stronger at bending ever so
    slightly I knew id have to do something more to get to moving this conditioning in the other direction.

That was the night I got my wife up and my dog to watch me lift weights for the first time in over a year.
    it was important that they were there because I needed there support less I couldn't make it back in the house.
    I succeeded that night and I had good days and bad days till the good days got better.

Now as you already know I have my strength back, I have my hope back and I have my relationships back.
    Something I never thought was that bad, my inner chatter and also something I thought didn't exist- the inner child- were crying out for my help
    Through your book friend I learned that I didn't need a man of faith to lay hands on me. ( although this is ok)

What I needed was to sooth myself and let me know that having joy was ok.
    I had to stop thinking about the state I was In and start thinking about what I wanted.
    I had to stop repressing all those thoughts of doubt ,strife and pain.
    Stop being so serious all the time and actually enjoying life on purpose
    I had to relearn all that id already learned cause the answers were there.
    Id memorized them and took them in my heart and soothed others, healed others.
    I just never knew how to soothe myself and heal myself till I got your book and Dr. sarnos books
    and I believe as you know I've been on that cloud of glory since brother- this is for you Steveo
    God bless you my friend

Lavender likes this.
  11. Steve Ozanich

Eric that we beautiful. Very nice words from a very good man. I am humbled that you sat down and wrote that out. I'm happy I was able to help you. I know that you will also go on to help people. It's a game of TMS-tag. You're it now Eric, go gettem. Spread the Truth. It's belief that cripples us, and belief that heals us. Everyone who heals wants to yell from the mountaintops, to tell the world. But the world aint listenen. Ignorance has

That was interesting about your churches. I laughed when you said you got your dog up to watch you lift weights. Does he ever "Spot" you? I his name Spot? I'm a word person, I like to spin phrases and create portmanteus. It takes a special phrase to impress me and you did it with, "playing in the fields of hope again." I'm virtually applauding that visual now. I will use that somewhere, sometime. I used the phrase in my book "at the end of my hope."

TMS is just the body locked up in guilt and anger. When I see someone with severe TMS I immediately know they are stuck in life, so afraid to move ahead because they can't say what they want to say, do what they want to do. They have forgotten to live like a free spirit. They are gridlocked between doing right and the darker side that doesn't care. Everyone I've worked with has been gridlocked with uncertainty. That's why I put that quote in my book by Rohr on page 310.

The body is taking orders from the brain, and the brain is taking orders from the spirit. Any where along that line of communication can break down, but our society focuses on the body alone, which is simply an effect of the first two. We have it bass ackwards.

You had the same lightbulb moment as I had. In The Mindbody Prescription, Dr. Sarno wrote "rage to soothe ratio." That was it!! That was the last thing I needed from his books. I got it. My anger wasn't out of control, it was naturally elevated by certain events, but I wasn't enjoying life any more! I had forgotten to be a kid with joy and less fear, and living in the moment. I was gridlocked with anticipation and the fear of failing. I had crippled myself, all alone. It's lonely at the bottom.

Be well Eric,

Steve

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  12. Stock Trader

Hey SteveO, when is your audio book coming out?

13. Steve Ozanich

Hi Trader, I stopped working on the audiobook to start the PR work. Then a bunch of stuff happened. I'm looking at the winter to begin the recording again.

Where did you get that blue quote? "I notice my thought....?"

14. Stock Trader

It is mantra I put together from different mindfulness sources. Mindfulness practice is helping me heal by applying these three elements: noticing thoughts without judging or reacting to them, accepting them as just thoughts (looking at them, listening to them, and learning from them for 15 seconds), and letting them go. You can use the same approach for symptoms, emotions, or everyday life aspects such as walking and eating. I visualize my self sitting at a beach in Cancun looking at the sky, the sky as my mind and the clouds as my thoughts and emotions coming and going. Then I reverse my negative thoughts to positive ones by using affirmations. Finally I come back to the present and move on with my life with happiness, peace, love, and forgiveness.

15. Steve Ozanich

It is a profound and true statement Trader. You did good with it. TMS is an over-reaction., for many complex reasons. When you begin to notice how you think, and how react, it will lead you to the more important question, "why" you react like that.TMS is also a denial of truth.

However--if you choose to go to the back of the book first to see how the story ends, you can just let it go. Letting go is a life-work in progress. It is the most difficult thing you can do.

Awareness and acceptance, and then letting go. It's the natural expansion of consciousness without suffering.

Steve

16. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I just started reading Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception. And actually, I'm just tearing myself away from it right now to urge you to put this at the top of your reading list.

His writing style is conversational and he is able to communicate confusing topics (like the differentiation between id, ego and superego), with clarity. A little humor sprinkled in here and there keeps the pace at a clip.

His personal narrative is captivating...I was (still am actually) both enraged and filled with compassion. And I can SO relate with his chronic pain development.

Dare I say I like this even more than Dr. Sarno's book? Perhaps that is because he has personally dealt with the effects of chronic TMS for so many years so he is very easy to relate to.

This book will be on my "read over and over" again list. And Steve, should you read this, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your transparency and your devotion to help others become pain free. You're a rock star.

Forest likes this.
  17. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

MontanaMom that's such a cool review, I think Steveo really is a rock star.
    He helped me tremendously with his time and wisdom while I was healing.

Im sure he will love to see this review, I just got to give my review at Amazon.com
    not to long ago because I was to old fashioned to buy a book off the PC.

Now that I get at least 1 a month, I had the chance to post a review-
    I thought I at least owed him that much, he's really a great guy.
    Pretty smart too, I learned a lot from Steveo, Awesome.

You should have a grand time learning from this book that I call the Tms encyclopedia.
    We will be discussing chapter 10 of the book tomorrow night if you get a chance To drop by
    or listen in it will be a great discussion.
    Bless you

18. North Star

Thanks for reminding me that I need to post that on Amazon! I will do just that. I wish I could chime in tomorrow night, we have company coming over. But I will one of these Tuesdays!
    Thanks for chiming in, Herbie. You are such an encourager.

19. North Star

I can't put this book down. I've been listening to the "text to speech" on my Kindle and have been walking around chuckling out loud. Not because Steve's pain-filled journey was funny....I could just relate too much. Ma gosh. It reads like a medical version of the book of Job.

For the past couple of years, it seems like each day has been met with a "NOW, WHAT?!" depending on what new symptom/injury/ache would surface. Very typical event for me: I had JUST finished 3 months of PT for right leg issues. The DAY after finishing, I had a trip and fall, landing on my left knee. Hello, another year of PT. And I could go on and on. Thankfully, the severity hasn't been as dramatic as Steve's but if I had not been enlightened to TMS, I shudder to think of where I'd be headed.

I had honestly figured I'd be riding around on a little scooter with everything wrapped in an egg crate mattress except for one finger, if it were pain free, to push the button on the cart. I'd joke about this with my friends because they knew something was always given me grief and my world has revolved around therapy appointments for far too many years. I'd also joke about how I could start a PT clinic given all the artifacts of my treatments. (That were all worthless.)

The picture I am envisioning now is one of many happy years and miles of hiking and exploration. Back to the book...

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Rinkey like this.
  20. Forest

There is something so powerful about reading a story from a person who has been there and experienced TMS firsthand. Having chronic pain can be very lonely. People close to you can't see how much pain you are in or experience it themselves. Reading an account from some one who had chronic pain helps you feel like you are not alone or the only person who has felt this way. I love Healing Back Pain, but there is something very inspirational and moving about The Great Pain Deception.