1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 23 The gap between making connections and actually feeling better

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dcl1597, Feb 21, 2016.

1. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Hello all,
    I'm frustrated because yesterday something in my life came up that was stressing me out quite a bit. I was sad and scared and angry and I journaled for a while about all these feelings and why there were bothering me. I was hoping that identifying this incident and journaling about it honestly would help prevent a flare up, but I woke up this morning and my digestive system was pulling quite a number on me. I know this is likely a combination of a few different things going on right now, but I'm so frustrated. I keep finding these connections between my emotions and stresses and my physical state, and I tell myself that it is TMS (which I do believe) but it doesn't seem to be removing the discomfort of the condition! I am still experiencing these awful flare ups. I've been told that sometimes it gets worse when we confront these feelings before it gets better but I'm so unsure- am I doing something wrong? Is there something else that needs to be done other than just recognizing these feelings and knowing that they are the root of my TMS?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, dc. I think you are doing everything right in the SEProgram and TMS healing. Others have said, including Dr. Sarno, that symptoms can get stronger when a person is closer to healing. It can take the subconscious longer to really be certain you have uncovered all your repressed emotions. You say your symptoms may be because of several things going on in your life right now. Try to journal about those. And keep positive that you are going to be well again and happy. TMS emotional pain is an on-going thing, so whatever you were frustrated about yesterday needs to be journaled about. If it's a relationship with someone, try to put yourself in their shoes and you may understand them better and forgive them. Forgiving is so important in healing from emotional pain. I think that for most everyone, the root of their TMS is just living. It's a much more stressful time now than it was even five years ago... the economy, jobs, more liberal lifestyles, less real communication with others despite all the technology. But we have to accept all that and stand strong in our own beliefs. The bottom line is, we all do the best we can. I try to do that and also ask the Lord to help me not only get through each day's stresses, but to enjoy each day. Hope you have a good one.

3. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Walt thank you so much for your thoughtful (and speedy!) advice per usual! I did write what I consider to be a very difficult and honest journal entry last night so I truly hope that it is just me getting closer to healing. It hasn't been the easiest of days today but I am trying not to let my symptoms get me down and just keep going on with my day. I've also just finished with Dr. Sarno's The Mindbody Prescription so I'm hoping that may help. When do you think is an appropriate time to start considering psychotherapy? Would it be best to complete the SEP first and then see where I'm at?