1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 The first step.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Regrowth, May 18, 2015.

1. Regrowth

Regrowth New Member

[2015/05/10]
    One month ago, I was given the book The Mindbody Prescription from a relative. Like most people, I was highly skeptical of what Dr. Sarno was advocating. But even if his understanding of what TMS is or how it causes pain is incorrect, I could not deny his results - thousands of people have found relief. But what really threw me off was that there were certain passages in that book that I would read, and then become emotional and/or anxious. My pain symptoms seemed to get worse along with these feelings. I finished the book, and I realized that TMS could very well be what I have. But I was lost. I didn't really know what to do with this knowledge.

Fast forward to a week ago, when I decided to do some searching for Dr. Sarno and TMS online, and I discovered the TMS Wiki, and then discovered Dr. Gordon's recovery program. Listening to some of the callers in his recorded therapy sessions, I began to identify with their personalities, habits, and symptoms. That sealed the deal, and today I take my first step through the SEP, and hopefully another step closer to my recovery.

For over a decade, I have dealt with arm, leg, and back pain. Bad elbows, bad shoulders, bad wrists.. bad everything. I can engage in virtually no leisure activities. No bowling, golfing, billiards, and most frustratingly, no juggling! (Juggling has been my passion ever since high school.) Without my orthopedic mouse, I could barely do my 40 hour a week desk job. I am so very thankful that I can do my job, and that I can live on my own and take care of myself for the most part, but fibromyalgia and lower back pain have significantly lowered my quality of life. And I want it back.

A life without TMS would be an amazing thing. I could finally start weight lifting and put on some muscle (instead of looking like a toothpick). I could go on backpacking trips without worrying about knee pain. I could practice juggling more frequently and finally make some progress on 7 ball juggling. But what life without TMS really means to me is empowerment. I can do all those things I listed above, or I could pick something else entirely different and start a new adventure. Speaking of adventures, day 1 down. Several to go. Let's do it!

Lizzy likes this.
  2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Welcome! You have taken the 1st step on an amazing journey! You will find new ideas, ways of thinking and being, and new friends, yourself being one of them. I am so glad you are here, and I know from your post you feel some gladness too. Doesn't it feel good?
    Lizzy

3. wannarun

wannarun Peer Supporter

We're gonna do it regrowth.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, ladies. TMS and the SEP are really lifesavers. They helped heal me from severe back pain.
    I journaled and discovered I had been repressing years of emotions from my parents divorcing
    when I was seven. You will find your psychological TMS causes. They free us from years of anger and pain.

Lizzy likes this.
  5. Regrowth

Regrowth New Member

Lizzy,
    You are right. I'm definitely happy to be here - both in the program and in this community. What a wonderful tool that has been provided to me, and I thank all of you regulars who scour the forums just to provide feedback and encouragement!

Wannarun,
    Absolutely!!

Lizzy likes this.