1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The First Recurrence...Came with a Vengeance..and I won

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gojab, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Gojab

Gojab Peer Supporter

So, I started my TMS program 4 weeks ago and have been literally laughing with joy over the immediate pain reduction, and my ability to restart things I had abandoned like working out and yoga. I also started psychotherapy because as I delved into my past I was startled by all the emotions I had repressed. That said, I knew a temporary recurrence was possible in my first month or so (as Sarno explains), and almost daring my brain to try it. I so wanted to shut it down as a example of my new found skills.

Well, last night it came. I did a few yoga moves I haven't done in a while, and in the back of my mind I was a little concerned about them (forward folds; frog's pose....that's it). My left side back felt a little tight and it concerned me a bit, just a little. After I got home, I sort of lost my composure and the tightness became a full fledged back spasm. As the night went on, the pain spread to my hip, knee, shin, foot, and shoulder on the same side. Then it spread to my right leg. It HURT. Boy, when TMS comes back it ain't fooling around.

Yes, I panicked a bit and the pain got worse. Then, I used all my tools (thanks to this site and Dr. Sarno) to talk myself down from the sensations. I'm so happy to say that the pain is much less this morning, and I'm back on top of it.

While it was an unpleasant night, it just gave me even more confidence that I now have the tools and knowledge to withstand another onslaught.

HattieNC, Kittyruns and TG957 like this.
  2. sarah0924

sarah0924 New Member

Hi Gojab,
    I am having the same issue, except I am further away from my "breakthrough" moment. I have also done psychotherapy, which is super helpful. I am out of money to pay for it until Jan 2021.
    Anyway, I have had a slide back into some negative brain patterns. So, I want to follow this thread and see if there are any good helps.
    In the meantime, I am trying to move toward the feelings (learned in therapy).
    There is a podcast on somatic tracking. The podcast is called "tell me about your pain" what is somatic Tracking from June 17. I have found this to work.
    :)

3. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

All I can say is NICE WORK!!!!!!