1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The effects of childhood from Pathways to Pain Relief

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Several authors have observed that the three main source of tension in TMS are
    1. personality,
    2. past experiences, and
    3. current events.
    Exploring past experiences is one of the best ways to understand why and how we develop TMS. Looking at our past helps us to identify what, specifically, told our bodies to develop TMS instead of healthily expressing strong emotions. The TMS book Pathways to Pain Relief includes three case studies that all illustrate how events from childhood influence the development of TMS as a reaction to something in the present:
    1. Antoinette’s symptoms, which developed when her partner was pregnant with their son, stemmed back to the abandonment she experienced from her parents in favor of her younger brother.
    2. Nicholas’ symptoms, which first emerged when he was taking care of an emaciated dog, brought back traumatic memories of his terminally ill father and sister, who died within days of each other when he was ten years old.
    3. Karl’s symptoms, which emerged after hearing especially cruel remarks from his partner’s ex-wife, revealed insecurities he was never able to fully understand or express that started when he was in elementary school.
    We obviously can’t go back and change the past, but we can draw upon our mature adult perspectives to change our reaction to it, and in doing so we can overcome the TMS symptoms we are experiencing in the present. Further, we can use our understanding of the past to

We’ll be discussing this topic in our next discussion group on Saturday, March 30th. If you want to, feel free to read all three case histories (Antoinette, Nicholas, and Karl), starting at “Childhood Experiences” and going to the end of Karl’s story (“The Reawakening of Childhood Trauma”) in Pathways to Pain Relief. However, as always, feel free to drop by just to join in the conversation.

Here are the connection details:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Saturday_TMS_Book_Discussion_Group

2. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

Please keep uploading the meetings on YouTube! They're great (and total lifesavers)!

3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

This is all so true. If I could break all emotional suffering down into two major sources it would be abandonment and shame. Abandonment = fear of disconnection. Shame = further abandonment, reminder of first separation panic. From there a host of chemical changes begin, all bad. I agree with Dr. Sarno that the id-superego conflict is a main source of tension.When we don't get what we really want (id), because or norms and those ubiquitous others (superego), our minds get divided, and psychological conflict arises. Me or them? The problem continues until we reunite the mind by understanding that we are them, they are us, separated only by experience. I would include genetics as experience. IMHO.

Forest your such a post-teaser. I was reading this post with great interest and suddenly you left off the best part. "We can use our understanding of our past to.." ..to what? Now I'll never know what is right, or who shot JR? The mystery will haunt our days.

Goodnight, and always remember, pants first and THEN shoes. Life becomes much easier in the right order.

Steve

4. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Ha, good point, Steve. Forest, I need some resolution.

Next you're going to tell us that the meaning of life is -

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I've been pacing the floor all night wondering what the rest of that sentence said. But then I suddenly realized the genius in Forest's strategy. Leave them wondering, and they'll have to buy the book to find out! Amazingly simple and yet elegant.

In that same theme, I figured out the answer to all of pain and illness in my book. It's so simple I can't believe I never saw it before. But all you have to do is

Good luck
    Steve

6. Forest

That was my exact strategy! I can't fool you guys at all. I can't believe I made such a boneheaded mistake. What I meant to say was

ftaghn! - We will keep the recordings of these sessions coming. I am glad you have found the helpful.

7. Forest

Just a reminder: tomorrow we'll be covering this topic in the call-in discussion group tomorrow (Saturday March 30th) at 2:00pm, EST. If you are free tomorrow afternoon, I encourage you to drop by for a great conversation!

Quick connection details:
    If you're connecting by phone, simply dial 1 646 583 7415 and when prompted enter the pin code 21558901.​
    If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.​

For more info & detailed connection instructions, click here. Hope to see you there!

8. Forest

Here's the recording from our discussion on the 20th. If you want, you can also download the discussion as an mp3: just right-click on this link and choose to save it to your computer. I hope to see you all this upcoming Saturday for another great discussion!