1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

"The busy trap"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by veronica73, Jul 1, 2012.

1. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

This article in the New York Times reminded me a lot of TMS personality as well as external pressures that are on many people today: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/

I often think about how the pace of life seems to just keep ramping up, and not just my own life, but for everyone around me. There is tremendous pressure to achieve at school/work, to have the perfect family, etc. I think for those of us with TMS this pressure just reinforces the pressure we are always putting on ourselves.

A few years ago I was teaching a meditation class at a YMCA downtown. I had met with the woman who organizes classes about ways to promote the class and boost attendance. The class was held around lunchtime on a week day. Well, the woman I met with said she wondered if the class was presenting a "conflict of interest" (her exact words) because people would relax and then they would still have to go back to work. Like it's a bad thing to be relaxed at work? That was kind of the point of the whole class :)

Reading all of our posts here I know that most of us are really hard on ourselves with the inner bully, etc. I think it's time to give ourselves a pat on the back--what we're working on, feeling feelings, being focused in the present, journalling, helping each other--is really counter-cultural in the best possible way.

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Agreed Veronica:

And so well put! A great way to start my day.

BG