1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The book: The Great Pain Deception

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by danny1943, Feb 27, 2016.

1. danny1943

danny1943 New Member

In a footnote on page 8 the author says: in extreme cases a herniated disc or stenosis may cause pain. Then at the top of page 9 he says herniated discs and stenosis do not cause pain. This appears to be a contradiction. Does anyone know what he's referring to when he says in extreme cases or examples of what cases would be considered extreme and cause pain. I've been diagnosed with both of these conditions.

I had an appointment with a TMS doctor a few days ago and he made no mention of pain in extreme cases. He did tell me that in his opinion the abnormalities indicated on my MRI would not create the pain I am experiencing and that I have TMS.

So I'm not worried that I am an extreme case. It's just in all my reading of TMS books and viewing Youtube videos I have not seen this kind of statement.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I would ignore it. I think your mind is grabbing some slight evidence to maintain the familiar thoughts, feelings, and anxiety about your pain. This activity of having doubts arise is part of the process of embracing the Sarno method, and this needs to be seen, examined (as you are doing) and ultimately let go of.

You saw a physician. Listen to him!:)

Boston Redsox likes this.
  3. danny1943

danny1943 New Member

I did listen to the physician. What I think is important about this is a person's introduction to TMS. If I'm trying to explain TMS to someone who is in excruciating pain I don't see the value of saying: in extreme cases the condition you have-herniated disc and spinal stenosis-may cause pain. Then immediately follow up saying: herniated discs and spinal stenosis don't cause pain. As I said, I haven't seen statements like these in other TMS publications and youtube videos. Dr. Sarno emphasized the importance of getting examined to rule out a physical cause such as cancer, disease. I think it would have beneficial if the author would have followed up his comments about extreme cases causing pain with examples and further clarification as not to implant in a newcomer's mind an apparent contradiction.

Hen likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

SteveO's book was originally twice as long. His editor forced him to cut it in half. Maybe the explanation was excised. But, there is hope, he will be coming out with a new book and maybe it will be in there.

Or, you can email him and ask him for the answer. Here's a link from the TMS Wiki's page about him, I'm sure there'll be contact info for him there:

Here's his email contact info, you can message him directly and I'm sure he'd be happy to clarify the contradiction for you:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016