1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The agnostic and the power of prayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Cap'n Spanky, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I'm not posting this to start any theological debates and I won't participate in any. Nor do I mean to offend anyone. If I do, I sincerely apologize in advance.

I was once pretty involved in a 12 step program and recently remembered how amazingly helpful prayer was. Now let’s just say… I'm not a religious person and leave it at that. ;) But I can't deny that that prayer really did work for me. If you don't believe me, just look at all the people who've had their lives changed by AA and NA, including atheists and agnostics.

I've been struggling a bit with some fatigue symptoms that I know are TMS. So why not try prayer and see if it helps?

I close my eyes, bow my head, and say:
    "God please come into my life. Take my mind off the physical symptoms. Please take away my fear of physical symptoms. Help me focus on my emotions. God, thank you for all you given me."

Does it work? It appears to be. I have not had any significant symptoms since starting it. It has also had a calming effect on me. I have less anxiety about my recovery knowing that I can use prayer as another tool for beating TMS.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Lavender, Ryan and tarala like this.
  2. tarala

tarala Well known member

I'm not religious either, but this prayer makes my heart happy. Short, easy, and heartfelt. I'll try it. Thanks for sharing it.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  3. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

I just celebrated 7 years clean and sober, I am familiar with n/a meetings. I'm not religious either but I pray to my higher power some nights to ask for help and give thanks, as well as to my grand mother who passed away. I also teach my daughter to pray and speak to her guardian angel, her god, great grandma etc so she always feels watched over, cared for, and loved when I'm not by her side or when she feels lonely and afraid. Prayer is a powerful.

njoy and Cap'n Spanky like this.
  4. Cap'n Spanky

Cool, tarala. I truly hope you find it helpful!

5. Cap'n Spanky

That is wonderful, alexandra! Congratulations on your sobriety!tiphata

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm so glad for these posts on how prayer helps to heal our pain. It works for me, too.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.