1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Thanks and gratitude!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by wendyd, Jun 22, 2016.

1. wendyd

wendyd Peer Supporter

I first read Dr. Sarno’s book about TMS 15 years ago when I was suffering from lower back pain. I had tried all the usual ‘treatments’ short of surgery. His book resonated with me and, while my pain never completely healed, I re-joined the living and resumed normal activity. About a year and a half ago, I had a severe (and I do mean severe) spasm in my lower back and buttocks area. It brought me down – literally. I was on the floor in pain. This felt different. So, I did all the usual stuff, to no avail. Then, a friend asked me if I ever heard of Sarno. I started crying as I realized that was my answer. I dusted off my Sarno book and re-read it. I still had pain. I looked for more resources on-line and found The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich. I took it with me on vacation and by the end of that week felt considerably better. By the time I got home, though, not so good.

I struggled to understand why I wasn’t getting better. What I realized was that I had been obsessing about getting better…reading the TMS Wiki forums, watching videos, journaling, assessing and re-assessing my progress. The words on page 320 of The Great Pain Deception jumped out at me and hit me over the head. “…Stop going over the same information, expecting different results. If your healing strategy isn’t working, change the strategy to fit your nature.” BAM!

In February of this year, I sent the following to Steve O. and this really sums it up for me:

“…What a year it has been! I took your words to heart and let go. I let go of the obsession and fear. I started meditating. I read. I relaxed. And, best of all, I healed. I released a lot of anger and sadness. I feel re-born. I wanted to let you know how much of an impact you, your book and your personal words meant to me. So, thank you. That's not nearly enough. THANK YOU! (is that better?) You have a special place in my heart. Much gratitude!”

I am also VERY grateful to this wiki. The resources and the support were amazing and helped me in so many ways. At times, it felt like my lifeline. One of the hardest things I had to do was to step away from it. I began to realize that as long as I was emotionally tethered to the wiki, I couldn’t do what Steve advised (and was correct about, in my opinion). I needed to let go of the fear, step away and start living. Once you have been thru the material and let it seep in and percolate for a while, shut the computer, go out and play. Trust me … it works! I’m proof!

Namaste!

Ines, Ellen, Karrie and 2 others like this.
  2. trip0d

trip0d New Member

Thank you for sharing. I bought Steves book but haven't read it yet. After I do, I definitely need to practice stepping away. Im pretty obsessive about researching the whole back pain thing and must have read the same info a thousand times.

3. Karrie

Karrie New Member

Thanks for sharing!