1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tests to Rule out the Physical?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shosh, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Whom among you have gotten tests to rule out physical diagnoses so you can fully embrace the TMS protocol? I've had many TMS symptoms over the years, but for the past year-plus it's been acid reflux and chest pain. Every time I feel the symptoms (which is most of the day, especially after eating) my brain goes to "is this acid damaging my insides?" I know that's not thinking psychologically. One part of me wants to get an endoscopy so I can (hopefully) see there's nothing wrong and move on confidently with the TMS diagnoses. The other part of me is scared to do so because it's an invasive procedure and also I'm afraid they actually might see something physically wrong. Would love to hear some hopeful, helpful, positive experiences. Thanks.

2. Jason32

Jason32 Peer Supporter

I had acid reflux bad from late 2007 to spring 2009 that just came out of nowhere after a stressful period and never stopped. Nothing would even touch the pain except Prilosec. I was scared of having an endoscopy too but eventually had it done. It is a painless and easy test (and this is coming from someone who is terrified of most medical procedures) and I'd never be afraid to have one again. My concern was the years of daily burning pain would eventually give me Barrett's Esophagus, but I was stunned to find there was literally no damage- there must have been very little acid, but the pain volume on it was turned up super high. This was before I knew about TMS but once I got that test result showing I was fine the pain disappeared a few weeks later. I haven't had heartburn since.

Shosh likes this.
  3. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Thank you Jason! That is just what I needed to hear. I really appreciate your chiming in with your helpful and positive experience. Thanks again. :)

Jason32 likes this.