1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Terrific 2009 interview with Dr. Sarno

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Forest, May 5, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share with everyone my favorite interview with Dr. Sarno. Many thanks to Steve Ozanich for drawing my attention to it.

It starts out with what I think is Portuguese, but very rapidly it gets into the actual interview, which is, of course, in English (with Portuguese subtitles). The interview is in 3 parts.

The man is a genius, so I hope you take to heart what he says and that it aids you in your recovery!

2. happystar

happystar Peer Supporter

This is a really really good resource. Thanks so much for posting it!

Forest likes this.
  3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno's summary of his TMS theory is stated so succinctly in this brief interview that it serves as a perfect introduction for patients who are experiencing mind-body symptoms and who need a simplified description of the psychological reasons behind them. I realize that Freud's theories of frightening emotions repressed in the unconscious are unfashionable today with the behavioral psychologists and their theories of secondary gain, but Dr. Sarno is so obviously right about the origins of the epidemic of psychogenic pain syndromes in Westernized societies that it's impossible to deny his thesis because it is the simplest of all explanations possible. Real science like Occam's razor!1 All the other structural explanations rely too much on conjectural connections between our anatomies and the development of chronic pain. In this video, the way Dr. Sarno deconstructs the interviewer's shoulder pain and CTS is simply devastating. How can the chiros, PTs and orthopedic surgeons keep dishing out their respective lines of BS? I would conjecture all they are doing is feeding the basic repressive processes in the brain that lead to the generation of TMS symptoms, telling the mind what it already wants to believe.

1 Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor, Latin lex parsimoniae) is the law of parsimony, economy or succinctness. It is a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Enrique like this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love it. This is a great introduction for all our new members from the Good Dr. himself. Dr. Sarno
    Bless You