1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tension and shortness of breath possible symptoms?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by kae, Aug 6, 2016.

1. kae

kae Newcomer

Hello,

I just started reading about TMS and am curious. I have a condition whereby I feel a wave of anxiety wash over me, followed by hard tension in my chest and arms. Also my breath becomes very shallow. This happens in certain situations in my life.

Could these symptoms point to TMS?

I don't exactly feel pain, although these sensations are extremely unpleasant.

ANY comments are appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    Martin

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Anxiety, accompanied by any physical sensations is TMS, without any doubts. You are in the right place. Read, absorb, ask questions, learn....

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS includes many symptoms that are not pain. Anxiety is a common TMS equivalent. The mind can produce just about any sensation in the body. If you've seen a doctor and ruled out anything medical/physical, then go ahead and treat it as TMS. You've already made the important step of linking life situations to the symptoms. You may want to start the Structured Education Program (SEP) that is free on this site.

Best wishes....

4. kae

kae Newcomer

Thanks for your answers. I will have a look at the programs.

I have, or maybe rather had, a history of anxiety, so I've seen a lot of people, professional and otherwise, related to that. I've worked through a mountain of emotional pain that used to manifest itself as anxiety (using mindfulness and hypnosis mostly).

But one funny thing is still there... it's a voice that comes up in me at certain points in relationships, and it always tells me to end the relationship. While it may not be unusual to have a feeling you have to end when something's not right, this voice comes with this overwhelming sensation of "I MUST DO IT", tension, shortness of breath, and even fear. Until now I've considered it to be benign and just a normal part of myself.

I'm not so sure anymore. And even if it is, I really want to make the call myself, based on my normal thoughts and feelings. I don't want to obey this overwhelming feeling that I don't understand.

What are your thoughts?
    Does this still sound like something to be handled using these methods?

5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the outcomes of my TMS recovery process is a much better understanding of my feelings and thoughts, how they differ and how they intertwine together and with my physical body. I can't give you the answer to your question, but I can assure you that if you follow this path diligently and in full, you will be able to answer those questions for yourself, which would be the best way to get the answers. You will know one day where does that voice come from and how much of it is you and how much is not you.