1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tense muscles not going away

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by johnebbe, Apr 14, 2021.

1. johnebbe

johnebbe New Member

Hi all,

I diagnosed myself with TMS a couple of weeks ago. Read two books by Sarno. Followed the educational program etc. I felt my pain going away, especially all resting pain.

However, my muscles are still extremely tense, making it difficult to move. Also, after walking or doing some garden work, my muscles are extremely soar, to the point of me restraining from doing it again.

My question now is whether muscle tension is a side-effect of TMS leaving the body and 1 year of immobility. OR id it's due to me being quite stressed in life in general.

Finding it really difficult to process all my body sensations, my feelings, things in life etc.

BR

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Muscle tension is not a side effect of TMS, it is TMS itself. Have you heard of fight-flight response to fear and danger? That's what your muscles do, they tense up. I had a severe muscle contraction (dystonia) in addition to neuropathic pain and other symptoms. It took me close to 7-8 months to get rid of pain, and another year to beat dystonia. BTW, dystonia is considered incurable, so I was not surprised at all that it took me so long heal. Keep working on it, and you will eventually recover your feelings and body sensations. You are on the right track, just need a bit more patience :=).

Sam007, Ellen and Baseball65 like this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

It also seems like your getting the impatience we have ALL suffered from when we identify with the text and then wonder why we aren't instantly cured.
    Those are such benign activities....even after a long period of immobilization. Couldn't be anything BUT TMS. BTW, that is the time when we ought to turn our attention to a source of irritation like Sarno told us... to let the unconscious know we are no longer falling for that strategy.
    TMS recovery is not about processing body sensations.... that is the OCD/distraction mechanism at work. You will never 'process' them, but keeping spinning in circles. Recovery comes from disregarding them no matter how urgent or peculiar they seem. Most of us who ended up here went through a period where we went from near zero activity to 100% return to activity...and all sorts of odd things,soreness, mystery moving pains , will try to distract you back to the physical. The more you can ignore them and proceed with your day, the faster you will recover.... The fact that your out there doing stuff is good. Keep doing it. Do more. and more and more.... and you will look back and see it was just trying to get you to renew your subscription, but you didn't bite. You're right on time

TG957 and Ellen like this.