1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tendenosis anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Timbercat, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

Looking back over this year, I have to say I feel good about the progress I have made with a lot of issues. I have far fewer migraines...like I went from taking medication twice a week to taking it once a month. I dont have reflux much anymore, and when I do, it goes away quickly and I dont worry about it. I also dont have much trouble with TMJ. I am still left with low back pain and worse than that, I have right hip pain that has only gotten worse over the last 1.5 years. Just had it evaluated by orthopedic and MRI showed "tendenosis" of two hip tendons, likely partial tear of these tendons. I can hardly walk and cant exercise which is why I went to orthopedics. Doctor advised me to walk in the pool for exercise...maybe PT in the future. No surgery for those in my age group (70) ...now there's a big nocebo. I saw several posts here on tendonosis with successful healing tho not exactly with a weight bearing tendon like a hip. Still hoping this is TMS. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Timbercat,
    I was diagnosed with tendenosis at some point. Very scary diagnosis! It was not true for me, and I am fine, resumed all extreme activity.

I am not a physician, and my MRI did not show anything. I will say that to my understanding, MRI's often don't show the real cause of pain. Also, with any chronic pain symptom, it is the "role" of the physician to name it as a condition, and find it in you, to explain your pain. This is the mechanical way of understanding pain/weakness. And you're learning from the other symptoms some of the very real restrictions "mechanical thinking" can create in your healing.

If you exercise in the water the way the physician is suggesting, this to me is a great start. If you do physical therapy, see it as supporting a restrengthening and flexibility for you ---not treating pain per se. Who knows where you will be in 6 months, but maybe so much better, if you continue to question the "mechanical!"

3. mbo

mbo Well known member

Tendenosis means "chronic tendonitis" ?
    Beware, because according dr. H. Schubiner (if I have well understood) "chronic tendonitis" is an oxymoron. If is chronic couldn't be tendonitis and if is tendonitis couldn't be chronic. The real tendonitis heals in a few days of rest, meds,... but if the pain lasts and become chronic .... isn't not "chronic tendonitis" ... is TMS !

4. Timbercat

Andy
    Thank you for your reply. It is a scary diagnosis. My understanding is tendonosis is defined as degeneration of the tendon. So I keep reminding myself that Sarno never got excited about degenerative disc disease. He just wrote it off as a normal abnormality. Today I am going to the pool and try some stuff. It cant get a lot more painful unless I cant walk at all! So very tired of all this.

5. Timbercat

Hi mbo,
    Like I said above, my understanding of the difference between these diagnoses is tendenosis is degeneration of the tendon whereas tendonitis is inflammation of the tendon. I have seen Dr Schubiner in the past tho not for this. If I cant get on the safe side of it myself, I may have to go up and see him again. Thank you.