1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Book Teach Us to Sit Still by Tim Parks

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mrmarker, Oct 17, 2019.

1. mrmarker

mrmarker New Member

Hello, all. I thought I'd take a moment to recommend this book to anyone who may be suffering from, or suspect they are suffering from TMS. This book may not subscribe to the TMS philosophy as a whole. But the steps that the author takes along the way, and where he ends up are very much like what TMS minded people encounter.

Tim Parks is an acclaimed author. And he decided to write this autobiographical journey of how he recovered from years of prostate pain, abdominal pain, and urinary issues. He tells of the thoughts that crossed his mind during the journey, the medical tests that he endured, the sleepless nights scouring internet forums, etc. Things that I'm sure most of us are familiar with. He also speaks of his childhood, his relationship with his parents, his pastimes, his career, and other potential triggers that may or may not have been the foundation for his TMS. He was a skeptic going in, as well. Which makes his realization all the more intriguing.

This book is written like a novel. Not a self help book. But it's helped me so much just by reading and especially listening to the audiobook. The audiobook version is narrated by Bronson Pinchot, and he does a great job bringing the story to life. So if you've read all of your TMS books, and want something a bit more colorful, but still heading in that general direction, please give this one a shot. And even if you're a woman, or a man who has never had unexplained prostate issues, I still think it can help. It certainly can't hurt. Whenever I'm in the throes of my TMS, I listen to the audiobook and it seriously helps to relax me. I hope it can help some of the rest of you out there.

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree, it’s a great book and in some ways the fact that it is more of a memoir than a self-help title renders the story more powerful. I really enjoyed it and happily second your endorsement.