1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Derek S. taking tylenol

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I'm new to this forum and I'm so glad I found you guys! I think I have TMS after reading the amazing Healing Backpain bk by Sarno. I've been suffering through BPPV and headache for couple of months now and wondered if it's ok to take Tylenol for pain or would that make me dependent on pain meds? The Epley maneuver seems to help dizziness. I have also been journaling about my traumatic childhood and present difficult marriage which made me exhausted but my counselor is helping me.
    JanS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
  2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question and welcome to the TMS wiki!

The answer to this question tends to vary among TMS practitioners. I personally don't have any issue with taking OTC pain relievers in moderation. TMS pain can be extremely uncomfortable and sometimes a pain reliever can help. I try to encourage patients to use them sparingly and to ensure that they are not thinking about their symptoms as being due to a structural deficiency.

What I often see is people recovering from TMS creating very stringent rules and rituals for themselves which can become rather obsessive or self-abusive. I am a proponent of people treating themselves with compassion and kindness and find this to be more important than following strict rules or guidelines for recovery.

It sounds like you are doing some really good work and I doubt that a couple of Tylenol here and there would undermine your recovery process.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.