1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Taking on someone else’s pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by golden, May 31, 2019.

1. golden

golden New Member

Hello! I’m a Shiatsu practitioner. Recently my client was telling me how his back goes out twice a year and that he is due for it to go out again. The next day my back went ‘out’ and I had the worst pain and limited mobility I’ve ever had. I.e hard to walk etc. it’s now released a lot but still locked up and pelvis is tilted to the side. Anyone else had experience taking on someone else’s pain?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi golden,

I will tell you unequivocally that TMS can manifest through "suggestion" or "contagion." I think this explains your situation. Working with it means simply seeing this truth, and reassuring yourself there is nothing wrong, and inquiring into what kind of inner tension you might have which is looking for expression. Welcome to the idiosyncrasies of TMS!

Andy B

3. golden

golden New Member

Thanks so much Andy! Yes it’s wild how powerful we are. I was experiencing inner tension when my back seized up, particularly around judging others and feeling out of place and even a moment of hopeless worry. Appreciate the reply! New here

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Too many times to count.! Never quite as dramatic anymore, but It is uncanny how I might be talking to someone who has ,say.... an unexplained skin rash. The next day I'll wake up itching. They'll tell me about their sciatica and the next day.. a little tickle of it.

Sarno called that the Nocebo (I will harm) the opposite of a Placebo (I will help)...the etymology isn't exact but it's close enough.

Those people who "KNOW" STUFF like what your client said are DOOMED. Jesus said "It is as you say". There is veracity in that at so many levels

"Man, I never get the good jobs" It is as you say
    "My back goes out twice a year" It is as you say
    "Bad stuff always happens to me" It is as you say

But , I actually say (and mean) stuff like

"I am the luckiest son of a bitch ever".
    "Things always work out for the best"
    "My body is strong and heals fast"

Now, if I were around dudes like that all the time? THat might wear on me a bit. God bless you!

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

These are astute inner observations! It is the connection between these kinds of inner tensions and symptoms that is the core of TMS understanding.

6. golden

golden New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. So true. I appreciate the reminder be Noebo effect wisdom.