1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptoms other than pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mdh157, Sep 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Does anyone here have other symptoms besides pain? I have muscle twitching and an internal shake/tremor and some other odd sensations that are driving me crazy with worry. Been checked, tests ran, etc and all the serious issues have been ruled out but i still am worried that i must be dying. Trying to get rest is misery as my mind is flush with worry with every little sensation.

2. Dave81

Dave81 New Member

No expert, but that sounds like panic attack to me.

3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

You’ve been medically checked out and passed the tests. It may seem impossible given the severity of the sensations you’re feeling, but this is fantastic news and you can overcome this!

These symptoms are absolutely common in TMS/the mind-body connection. Here are some questions for you to ask yourself: what was happening in your life when these symptoms came on? What has been upsetting you? How do you relax? What do you enjoy? What goals do you have for the future?

TG957 and Lainey like this.
  4. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

My only goal right now is to get rid of these symptoms!! :)

5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I had all kinds of strange muscle reactions, plus swelling and redness of skin. All was TMS.

Dorado likes this.
  6. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

The symptoms are nothing more than indicators of your heightened emotions. Even if you were to completely break free from the physical sensations, you still wouldn't be free from your emotions. The key is to work on the management of your emotional and mental health. You are far from alone - the world is collectively in sympathetic overdrive mode. We are no longer cavemen and fight-or-flight mode isn't as compatible with our stressful and longer lives. Good news: It really is true that this can be overcome.

TG957 likes this.
  7. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

This is by far the most difficult thing I have ever had to deal with. I think if I could get good sleep it would help a bit but you guys know how that goes. Symptoms and roaming mind are the worst when trying to relax at night.

8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Meditation is what helped me to improve my sleep. It took some learning to figure out how to meditate, but little by little all of my muscle spasms, redness of skin and swelling went away. I am symptom-free now, save for occasional bouts of insomnia. Best of luck to you!

9. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

I am sorry to hear this, nobody deserves to feel this way.

10. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Some really weird stuff going on lately. Last week I woke up twice with a fairly sharp pain the front of my shoulder when I have no known injury, and today I woke up with a burning sensation on my foot. Now a little while ago I had an upper lip twitch/tremor that lasted maybe 2 mins, now it seems to be gone. It is so difficult to believe this is TMS due to the range of symptoms. Nothing is debilitating but some of it certainly is scary.

11. Miss Metta

Miss Metta Peer Supporter

Your original question was, "is anybody else experiencing these symptoms?". The answer is yes, I am. I am experiencing internal tremors and an eye that keeps twitching. What makes me scared is that my bowel has completely stopped working since my appendix was removed in June, laxatives don't work, and I have no feeling there, as if it's paralysed or something neurological is going on. When I combine that with the internal tremors and twitching eye and the occasional eye-floaters/halos, my mind runs to "I"m developing MS or Parkinson's" so I'm right with you. The internal tremors ruin my meditation and are so unplesant they almost make me stop doing it - when normally I find meditation a key to being able to separate out what is thoughts and anxiety from the 'inner me' who is calm and stable.
    I still have to go to the doctor - again - for about the 5th time this month - to run blood tests in case my electrolytes are out because the laxatives I've been told to take by my surgeon are very high in sodium so doc thinks that may cause the tremors, but mostly she thinks it's anxiety; "You've been through a lot the last year", she tells me. I tend to think she's probably right because in the past I've had these internal tremors when extremely fatigued, only this time, because I've also got a non-functioning bowel, I'm attaching more meaning to them than I did in the past. In the past, I knew the tremors meant I was over-loaded or had been through something severe ((like surgery or emotional upheavel) and a few days rest, and they'd be gone. Funny how the mind works. Same sensations, different interpretation.

I"ve got a burning sensation where the appendix used to be, burning sensation on my left leg....on and on it goes. Twitches twinges, fogginess, sadness, anxiety, despair...it's all TMS, I've been through this before. Am surprised it's trying it on with the 'old' symptoms.

So, I'm with you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  12. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

dunno how you do it Miss Metta. I am falling apart just with these tremors thinking it is bad stuff. mind is running rampant.

13. Miss Metta

Miss Metta Peer Supporter

the 'falling apart' is what keeps the cycle going.
    If you have been checked out by a doctor and they have no concern, then it is anxiety.
    If you look up causes of internal tremors, yes, there are major disease causes, but there are another three: fatigue, anxiety, too much caffeine. It is likely one of these 3.
    With your facial tics, try this: scrunch your face up really hard, hold for a few seconds then release. If you start to feel twitches, that's the very tense muscles releasing. Keep doing it a few times. A true neurological issue won't just happen when you scrunch your face up. It's the tension stored in the muscles. The tension is because of trying to 'hold yourself together'. It's anxiety.
    The tremors feel unpleasant, I will grant you.
    But they're meant to.
    To distract you from what is really bothering you.
    If you really need to, check with your doctor once more and once only.
    There's also another proof.
    Antianxiety medication. If you have any, take one, and if it goes away, there's your proof. A neurological issue won't respond to that. I'm not advocating anti-anxiety meds, but sometimes they are useful just to prove something to yourself.

TG957 likes this.
  14. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Well, I def have fatigue and anxiety. I am the only one concerned abt this stuff. My doc does think it is anxiety and my entire family has anxiety issues. it is keeping me from sleeping which IMO is making it worse.