1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom substitution means I'm on the right track right?!? Please?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hoolie, Oct 5, 2014.

1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi all-
    You have been so helpful with your support. Thank you.

So while my original issue ( back pain) is not too bad (not gone), other secondary issues have been horrible!! This week it's been neck pain/muscle spasm, shoulder twinges, wrist, insomnia, and anxiety. What?!? I've heard similar things that indicate incidences of symptom substitution, and yes, I'm doing the SEP and journaling and yes, I'm getting very mad at my brain and yelling at it... But it's so hard! Hard not to fear these pains when they're so real. I just want to hear that this is par for the course, and of course, moral support!!!
    Thanks!

2. TomPNY

TomPNY Peer Supporter

same here my friend.
    I posted a similar post about 4 am this morning... how did I beat this back pain but get stuck with all of these neuropothies, shoulder pain, wrist problems, insomnia, and so on.
    back has been good for almost a year... but this other stuff. Hands falling asleep, etc. it sucks.
    a friend told my about the homoneucleus theory. Check it out. It doesn't fix things but it explains where we are most sensitive.
    I think that because of our previous injuries, even though we got past them, our bodies are uber sensitive and on high alert, so smaller stuff gets amplified because of past experience. THAT is something that I think is the big challenge for second timers.
    My hips pop. My shoulder feels like its gonna jump out of its socket. my wrist burns. trigger points near my elbow light up like I pitched a double header, Sound familiar friend?
    I'm there right now.
    Lets get through this crap.

Gigalos likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, TomPNY, the homoneucleus theory may help you, but I hope you will not let it sidetrack you from believing your symptoms are
    from TMS repressed emotions and/or perfectionist and "goodist" personality.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

homoneucleus ???

pull through, Hoolie, don't let it discourage you to keep approaching it as TMS, ride the storm.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. TomPNY

TomPNY Peer Supporter

not a sidetrack... but a decent representation of why some of us light up so quickly via tms, thus making it easier to understand while we work through it.

6. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

just to make sure, I meant of course 'don't let it, the pain and discomfort that is, discourage you'.... sometimes working on tms simply brings emotions to the surface which in turn sets fire to symptoms. I advise you to try some mindfulness exercises, search for them on the internet and you'll surely find some. It helps you to calm yourself down a bit and learns you to feel and accept emotions even when you are not sure what causes them.

Offtopic, Tom, did you spell homoneucleus correctly? Can't find anything about it.

TomPNY likes this.
  7. TomPNY

TomPNY Peer Supporter