1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom imperative?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marytabby, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

My right shin has been hurting me a lot for 8 months. On January 1st I happened to be out jogging and I fell and skinned both of my knees really badly. The right knee way worse, with bad road rash. I noticed the next day that the shin pain went away, even now that that knee skin is pretty much healed 3 weeks in.
    I would say it’s classic symptom imperative, however nothing new has taken it’s place, thank goodness!
    Shin is pain free. All I can figure is that the real road rash injury was enough of a distraction that the shin gave up?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with you Marytabby. I have seen cases where people who have had accidents, with real injuries have long-term TMS symptoms quickly disappear. Sometimes the old TMS symptoms come back as the injuries heal. Probably helpful to use your awareness and knowledge cure to "cement" your understanding about this as best you can.