1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Symptom imperative?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ollin, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

I'm trying to understand what is going on. I'm getting new symptoms every now and then, often following an emotional distress. Most of the time I managed to dismiss them completely through the confident TMS approach (though I'm currently in a middle of an acute episode of stabbing pain in my side).

I thought it was symptom imperative, but what exactly is the nature of this phenomenon? The definition says that new symptom appears when an old one goes away (through TMS work). But in my case I still have the old chronic pain in one area since 2009 and the new symptoms show up on top of that, just more intense so that I notice the old pain less. When the intensity of the new ones subsides (they tend to fluctuate) I feel it again as usual. Now, I remember this old chronic pain also appeared when I had an even older knee pain, which resolved itself a few months later. I've had a rocky time recently and am tired and confused. I notice sometimes I hesitate to work on the new pain in the hope that maybe if it establishes itself the old one will go away... but then isn't it stupid to invite more chronic symptoms into my body?

So I wonder what this pattern is telling (I know I still have unresolved issues and ongoing stresses), but in terms of TMS cycle - is it a sign of a progress or regress? I'm committed to stay the course, but as the symptoms are getting increasingly disabling people urge me to 'do something about it', i.e. see more doctors, physiotherapists etc.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

See how your reacting to life, focus on your perception, not the body. Its simple enough to know the repressed emotions exists and move on. Looking for exactly shat you are repressing or why your repressing is tmsing. You are obsessing and analyzing bypassing the emotion. Symptoms increasing is a great thing, you are on the right track.

Ryan