1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom Imperative loop

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, May 6, 2016.

1. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

Greetings

I've had a pretty wild TMS ride these past two weeks and am just sort of trying to get a vibe for if things are moving in the right direction (as it doesn't FEEL it is).
    My biggest problem has been an assortment of pelvic pains. For a few months they had been pretty mild after one day I realized that sometimes I could at will turn off the pain as long as bad anxiety was allowed to take its place.
    Anyway, a bit of stress at work has caused some major flare ups in the pelvic pain department. Initially I was frustrated, fearing it going back to extreme pain and also rewondering if it wasn't another cause other than TMS.
    I stayed commited to the TMS type healing, just reassuring myself it was psycological, allow it to just be, trying to think what I might be upset, and just moving on with my day.
    For 3 days I've had all sorts of symptom imperatives: tingling feet, cold feet, pain in the ankles, pain in shin, pain in knee, dizziness, fatigue, rining in th ears, blurry vision. Usually only one or two of these symtpomes is
    present at any given time and then it fades to be replaced with something else (frustrating, no?). I've noticed there are layers. If I can get a physical pain to go away its usually hiding extreme anxiety. If I manage to push aside anxiety, there is an empty, depression like feeling.
    If I can push that aside I go right back to the physical sensations.
    In the middle of the night last night I woke up feeling like I was on fire. From my knees down, from my shoulders down, my chest and face were burning really hot. I ran out of bed into a cold part of the house and just sat. My mind was weirdly calm but my body felt like it was dying.
    In this moment though I had severe doubts about ever being able to kick this thing. It just keeps replacing itself with something else. The things it replaces itself are getting more and more painful / scary. I have figured out what I need to "fix" yet so I feel like I'm at square one. Part of me thinks
    I should just go on medication again because that has eased the pains in the past as it reduces my anxiety. Knowing about the symptome imperative, I think maybe I should fight on just a bit longer. I am not sure as it is definately effecting my job performance

Thanks,

jamesjamesjames1

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, james. I'm sorry about your pains and anxiety, but think you are handling it all very well. There is nothing wrong with going back on some medication at this time, although I am not a doctor so I shouldn't recommend it. Dr, Sarno says it's okay to take some medication at times when the symptoms are very painful or distressing. It doesn't sound like anything is physically wrong with you. You just need to keep working on repressed emotions. Work-related anxiety can very well be the cause of your pains moving around. Good luck in healing and keep us posted. Breathe deeply, practice meditation.