1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Symptom imperative - back pain.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Everly, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Hello, everyone!

So, for the last couple weeks my TMS (fibromyalgia body aches and dizziness) have eased up significantly due to some changes I made in my TMS work, which was completely amazing and I was feeling good, trying no to get too excited but in the back of my mind feeling that the pain is truly fading. Until couple days ago I started to have lower back pain (never really had it before) which is craaazy painful, especially on movement, on second days morning I literally couldn't get out of bed, couldnt move without stabbing pain, it hurts all day today without moving as well, cant sit, cant stand etc... It has to be symptom imperative. But its so much worse than my symptoms. So I am hoping for extinction burst. Anyways, Im looking for some encouragement, because the pain is intense and feels structural (unlike my original burning pain in limbs, which never got worse on movement, so was clearly TMS) I now realize why most people have trouble believing in TMS if this is their main symptom...

2. Lou

Lou New Member

Hi Elena,

I can sympathize with how you are feeling. I am fairly new to this idea of TMS but I am positive that I have it. My main issue is with back pain. Sitting, standing and pretty much every other position is painful for me and has been for 15 years now.

I am certainly not an expert at this but it seems to me you are definitely experiencing the symptom imperative - when the symptoms change or move to another area of your body. I have had a bit of this myself - new symptoms have appeared as I continue to journal. I know it can be discouraging but I keep telling myself that it is actually a good sign.

One of my favourite quotes is from Winston Churchill : "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." I hope you will be able to work through this fairly quickly. Have a great day!

Everly likes this.