1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom imperative after surgery or affects of surgery

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jules, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

Hi guys,

It’s been some time since I’ve been on here. Been dealing with a lot of personal stuff, especially the after-effects of major oral surgery (All of 4 dental implants). I was doing so well and just need some clarification before I accept that this too is TMS.

So, just some background. About 6 months ago, I went to my dentist to get the down and dirty on my teeth. I’ve had bad teeth for as long as I can remember. I had numerous fillings, at least 8 root canals, 8 crowns, and seven missing teeth. I also had several abscesses. All of this took a toll on me and led me to have dental phobia. So, last May, I talked to my dentist about the nitty gritty of my oral health and asked him to give me the truth about whether my teeth could be saved. After doing a CT scan of my whole mouth, he gave me the grim details: my teeth were rotting and no amount of crowns (already had 4 fail) was going to help.

We talked about options and said the All on 4 dental implants (4 implants screwed on the bottom and 4 on top) was the best solution. It was going to cost a small fortune, but it would last likely the rest of my life, without painful dental visits and more money and time spent. Hubby and I talked and made the decision to go for it.

Fast forward to Sept 18 andI had the surgery done. To say I looked like someone beat the he’ll out of me is not an exaggeration. I was black and blue starting on day 4 and in a lot of pain. So, I took pain meds, steroids, anti-nausea meds, and an antibiotic, which screwed up my digestive and bowels system badly. After healing from the implants, I remained constipated for weeks. I had to take laxatives and stool softeners to get some normalcy back. It didn’t help that I have to be on a soft-food diet for 6 months while my implants heal, and have to ear these bulky dentures that cause me to not speak right and drool like crazy until I can get my permanent teeth next Feb. or March.

Needless to say, I dealt with some trauma, both physical and emotional, which has messed up my gut. Also, because these teeth are not normal, I look like I have a constant frown on my face (my grandmother had the same thing and I always thought she was angry all the time), and I hate it. This new look has caused me to feel quite self-conscious about my looks and not being able to talk like I used to has hurt my confidence. All of this and quitting my job a month before the surgery (due to a toxic work environment), Covid restrictions, new granddaughter born a few weeks ago and my concern for her, not being able to be with family for Thanksgiving, U.S. election and the aftermath, and well, you can see the powder keg going on.

Anyway, now that healing is pretty much complete, my digestive and bowels are still wonky and at least once a week, I get horrible gas pains that stops me dead in my tracks. I have to deep breathe through the cramps and even take Gas-X for the pain. I haven’t had this before (I’ve had gas pains sure, but once in a while not every week), which has caused me concern. My bowels aren’t back to normal either. I’m looking for another job and this has me worried about my symptoms.

So, I’m appealing to you all to help me with this newest set of symptoms (well not really new, but more often). I have been to the doctor and everything checks out, so I think this is TMS, however, wanting to get some feedback. Anyone have this and found out it was TMS? Granted, I’ve had to use the heating pad quite often and have lost about 7 lbs since surgery, and feel I’ve lost muscle. I used to exercise and gardening and developed good muscle strength. I feel that’s gone now.

Could this just be from my new diet and my digestive and bowel system is trying to catch up or is this TMS and what can I do that I haven’t already done in the past? @plum @Tennis Tom @Alan Gordon LCSW @Baseball65

TIA.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  2. tara7780

tara7780 Newcomer

I saw in a really old post of yours that you had once had a lot of pain on both sides while trying to sleep. I also have this and it is my shoulders, hips and back on both sides. Could you give me any advice on what is was that helped with this pain. I am lacking sleep this has been happening for close to a year. Really longer than that but not this bad up until this last year. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

3. Jules

Jules Well known member

Hi Tara,

The pain was due to a toxic work environment, so every night I dreaded waking up and going to work, so TMS flared and gave me pain, as well as nausea, so I wouldn't focus on my emotions, which I ultimately had to and quit my job. I no longer have the pain, so figure out what is stressing you out or what you don't want to face, and use the TMS techniques to help change the way you think about them, or if necessary, change your situation. Every chronic pain that I've had has been from TMS. I found out from even this post that all my digestive issues were because of emotional trauma and being stressed from the surgery, Covid, and trying to find a new job.

Write down all your stressors and try to match the pain onset for when the pain started being chronic. Most likely, it was tied to something stressful. You have to believe it's TMS and not something bad and then you can work on changing your mindset. It takes persistence, consistency, and patience, but you will get there.

Good luck!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. tara7780

tara7780 Newcomer

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response. This makes so much sense to me! I can relate to this so much. This was very helpful. Thank you again!

5. Nana

Nana Peer Supporter

HI Jules, I have read through some of your older posts and i see a similarity with your story and mine. My symptoms returned after surgery, bloating and all. I was wondering if you were able to conquer Tms once again and if so could you give me some advise? Thkyou.

6. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hey Jules,

You sure been through a lot.

A new granddaughter. Congratulations! I have two grandsons and they are truly a joy to be with.

I have read a lot about implants. Some can cause systemic issues depending on the type of metal used. Of course, the meds you took could cause all kinds of digestive issues. You may want to work with a neutropatjic doctor or acupuncturist specializing in digestive issues. Can TMS play a role? Of course it can. So work on both fronts and see.

Regarding the future of your oral health, I recommend following the home care system by Dr. Ellie Philips. Here’s my post on her system.

https://www.fredamir.com/single-post/2019/09/28/Save-Your-Teeth-And-Gums

You may find some digestive relief by taking aloe vera juice as I explain in this post on acid reflux

https://www.fredamir.com/single-post/2017/07/19/relieve-acid-refulx-in-four-steps

Take care,