1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Swelling after wrist immobilization

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lisamr, Aug 23, 2019.

1. lisamr

lisamr New Member

I cured myself of Tms symptoms 2 yrs ago, so I thoroughly believe in the mind body connection. Those issues never had a structural cause and in retrospect were textbook TMS—unexplained pain that migrates randomly. However now I’m dealing with 2 real injuries: I wrecked my right wrist while climbing 5 months ago ( tfcc tear) and by purely bad luck, I tore another ligament (lunotriquetral) in my good hand 2 months after the first injury.

My right wrist never swelled and I could do push-ups after about 3 weeks from the injury. After I hurt the other hand, it swelled for the first few days but I also could be in the push-up position day 1 with no pain. Still, I had real lig tears and the hand surgeon casted my left and right wrist at the same time (wasn’t fun). I’ve been out of the casts for 5.5 weeks and I have sooo much swelling in both hands and I’m nowhere close to doing a push-up. Even riding my bike is a no go (wasn’t a problem before the casts). My initial assumption was that breaking through the scar tissue built up from the casts was leading to the inflammation, but I mostly have full ROM now.

My guess is the immobilization created more structural problems (I got a pretty bad frozen shoulder after being immobilized post-dislocation) OR I’m dealing with TMS. I’m doubting the swelling is from the ligament tears because it didn’t happen before the casts. I am being extremely careful but even making dinner makes me flare up. Anyone have tips on identifying TMS in the midst of some real injuries?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lisa -

What did you do two years ago to heal from TMS? One of the programs? Journaling?