1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Support Group - YUK

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Stella, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sandy,

The most important thing that any person with TMS can do is to find the right balance in life for them. One of the most challenging steps for any person with TMS to do is to know when to say no. As perfectionists and goodists we frequently take on more than we can handle. Knowing our limits is a good thing.

I know first hand what it is like to want to share TMS with others. While I have enjoyed helping spread the word, there have been many times when I felt overwhelmed and stressed out by it all. Our TMS personality makes us feel like we have to be the leaders, but sometimes, for our own well-being, it is important to be just a regular team member, or forgo the team entirely. It shows great progress and introspection to be able to say what you can and cannot do.

I want to also say that I was very inspired by the meeting you all had last week. While I was not there (I live in Boston), I am familiar with the work it takes to organize a support group, and am amazed that you were able to get 12 people together on your first meeting. That's pretty impressive!

If anyone does approach you with interest in being a facilitator, please let them know that they will have the full support of the PPD/TMS Peer Network. Our organizational mission is to empower people who have recovered from TMS to create programs to help others who are still suffering. We would be thrilled to provide some infrastructure support to help you guys continue to meet. For example, now that you have all met one another, you might want a way to stay in touch. I'd be happy to set up and administrate a Google Group to make it easy for people to keep in touch. In terms of MeetUp, someone would still need to step up to be the facilitator, but our organization would be willing to cover the MeetUp costs, which I believe is somewhere around $50 a quarter. If there is anything that we can do to assist you all in organizing these groups, we would love to be of service. Alternatively, if you let your MeetUp subscription lapse, we could archive some of your materials on our wiki or elsewhere on our web server. Sooner or later someone else will want to set up a regional TMS support group and having those materials will be very valuable.

Enjoy your well deserved rest!

Forest

PS, it meant a tremendous amount to me that you mentioned the our community and our programs so highly in your email to the group. I feel touched to know that they helped you to grow and learn more about yourself. This whole process has taught me a huge amount about myself as well.

veronica73 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. EricMd

EricMd Peer Supporter

When is the next meeting? I think it would be nice to rotate the role of facilitator so us overachiever times don't get overwhelemed. I am encouraged by your courage to take the first step to set up the group.

Forest likes this.