1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on setback discouragement

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Smb081818, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Smb081818

Smb081818 New Member

Hello
    I didn’t think I’d need to post again once I started to feel improvement but I’m seeking encouragement/advice on if this is normal.
    I feel truly the source of my pain over the last couple years is TMS.. I want my life back and feel devoted to this program. I had over a week of feeling pretty good, the burning subsided but felt pressure all over leg- maybe 50% improvement -which is spectacular. The last three days got significantly worse with today being unbearable. I forced myself to drive and do everything normally without fear and the burning calf pain is still hitting hard. (Also SI joint pain) but the burning is what’s the worst. I’m looking for advice on 1.- if gradual relapse is normal? 2. Techniques you have found useful in pushing forward to fight the fear when the pain is really bad and it’s hard to focus? I breath, I affirm myself, try to keep moving but I also may have doubts in my subconscious trying to say something is wrong with my body.
    Thanks so much for your time

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

The TMS recovery process is not usually linear in my experience. The pain can worsen, completely recede and then resume original intensity. Allowing and expecting the symptoms to be there, with the knowledge that they are harmless, will neutralise the fear. Then give it time. Attend to yourself gently and with love as you work through this and celebrate the successes as you regain your life.

Smb081818 likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Of course it is. It's a battle for your attention.... just look at the illustration in 'Healing back pain'. That's what TMS is doing...saying "Hey...look at me over here... I am really painful and SCARY...that TMS stuff is just wawawawa (charlie brown parent voice)"...so you gather yourself back together and fight another day. The very next day.

Always pay attention to what you are doing and what is going on with what you are doing when you notice symptoms. One of two things is usually happening.

A. It's just conditioned pain and your brain needs to ask yourself 'How did I get conditioned to expect pain doing _____?
    B. I don't WANT to be doing ______ but I have to do it to be a good person, Mom, teacher, worker,whatever.

You'll usually find one if not both of those at the root of all of TMS pain.

Smb081818 and Boston Redsox like this.
  4. grapefruit

grapefruit Peer Supporter

Smb081818 and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. Smb081818

Smb081818 New Member

Wow thank you so all much for your replies,
    They’ve been very encouraging for me
    Grapefruit- I’m about half way or so through your blog post and can’t say thank you enough for writing that, I see definite similarities and I know I will probably be scouring this post repeadtly as I need encouragement ... thank you!!!