1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Suggestions for talking to Primary Care?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jt99, Apr 27, 2017.

1. jt99

jt99 New Member

I'll be seeing my primary care doctor tomorrow. I'm seeing him for some things unrelated to TMS, and much of what I have that i think is caused by TMS I've already had examined/prodded/tested/"treated" for years. However, I have one suspected TMS symptom—a specific foot pain—that has been ongoing for years that I've never had specifically examined (I've had other foot pain issues diagnosed and treated with little help).

I'd like to ask him about an xray just to rule out structural problems, but am wondering how to go about it. In an ideal world I'd tell him I'm working on TMS and want to make sure nothing else is going on, but the world is not ideal. Anyone ever try telling their primary care doctor what they're working on? Advice?

2. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi jt99,

I had xray, ultrasound, mri at that time i was not aware of tms. In the middle of my 'pain search journey' (footpain) i met a rehabilitation doctor who mentioned the mind/ body connection, and even sugested depression and feelings could play a role. (And offered me medication : antidepressents for the pain )
    At that time i was furious at him.
    I met a lot of doctors and other healtcare proffesionals (including my familydoctor) but most of them where not really open to that idea. Most of them think structural: you foot, posture etc etc. You need inlays etc etc

So : i would not mentioned it now : just ask for the xray because you want to know ' if there is something wrong with your foot structure'
    Than you have your proof
    if you mention it before it can go either way : if he is 'anti' you can get discussion which will not be so helpfull?
    Depends on how well you know him
    or even feel the need to share this
    Greetings
    Karina

3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Karinabrown/jt99

Been suffering foot pain for 7 years and all other types of pain Dr can only rule out structual and organic after that its all you....if your lucky enough I found a tms dr that I made my primary and also know my therpist...he gets it hes been threw it .

I was toyimg with the thought of a anti, but my dr said it might help for the short while, then said you will never see the sunshine when it comes??? food for thought. He told me to get involved in something that excites me with so much positive energy be active.....and he said when tms strikes bad fall to the ground and give into it stop fighting the pain cry scream, but never make yourself the victim ...

Its so easy beleieve me I been at it for awhile and I know.

4. karinabrown

Hi Boston,

Well i am finding my way through all of this. Making progress with the foot but then other health stuff pops up. But still doing better than couple of years ago.
    I have learned to be happy with the small progress , in the beginning was only grieving of all the lost mobility and was sad all the time.
    Learning to stop the fighting and start enjoying things more. After all life is short and one of my fears is to loose to many good years on pain an Suffering.

This wonderfull website showed me hope and different perspective
    My journey is not 'i read a book and i am fine ' but still learning and hopefully keep improving slow but steady

Karina

5. Boston Redsox

Well let me say this Katerina you are way ahead of me took me a lot of years to get that thought process I feel you will heal quickly

6. jt99

jt99 New Member

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the responses. Saw primary care today. Didn't mention TMS. Went fine. They ordered the xrays of my feet as I hoped. Said if they don't find anything broken maybe it's ligaments and I need PT. Hmm... Then heard xrays are fine! So, will prob decline PT, as I've been through this song and dance before. More journaling is in order.

jt

7. Boston Redsox

Journaling is a great release but to what end...its like meditation and breathing it's great but to what end...the cure is none of those ....its asking one self not what I'm mad at but WHY? This is the answer after 7 yrs of suffering and I still am ...The why I am mad is the fuel that powers the tms in all of us

8. karinabrown

Hi Boston,

It is a daily work in progress stil. And It also took me years.
    You mentioned the search for 'why'
    Well i did that : why i have pain ' road .. searching, wondering , etc it can be a fulltime job..
    Most of the time don't wondering about the why ' anymore.

Breathing etc i think is a tool to get to a less stressfull body and mind
    I like it and it works
    But not as a cure but as a tool ..

What if we used all the energy we put into thinking about ' why' into
    'How do i become happier '?
    And then do those things too?
    Small things first , step by step
    The search for 'why' brought me nothing! But more stress, fear , frustration
    I thought that if i could answer the why question i could find 'cure' .. les pain '
    I did not so far
    Shifting my focus helped me more
    and less pain folowed
    You can do that too Boston
    Karina

Tennis Tom likes this.