1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden onset knee pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by SSS, Jan 2, 2022.

1. SSS

SSS Peer Supporter

I'm on day 26 of the education program. Usually I have back or pelvic pain. Today suddenly my knee is hurting and I can barely move it. I know this is TMS as there was no injury and no swelling that should show i hit my knee or any other cause. I'm having a hard time figuring out why this suddenly started and how to make it go away. I'm currently reading the Divided Mind book by Dr Sarno. Any ideas on what I can do to help this pain?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Pain or symptoms that are new are often called symptom imperative. It’s your brain trying to keep you safe when you dig into aspects of yourself it has always felt need to protect you from. Just keep on doing what you’ve been doing. Schubiner recommends talking to your brain and telling it you’re fine, it can stop. Then briefly feel the emotions surrounding these symptoms and move along with what you had been doing. The idea is to be aware without overly attending to it.

SSS and Mr Hip Guy like this.
  3. SSS

SSS Peer Supporter

Thanks. I did my best to ignore the pain and indeed it went away after a few days. I was much less stressed about it knowing it was TMS pain vs. due to my "damaged back", so I just kept walking to the best of my ability.