1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Success stories about depression.

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Tiggerdyret, Feb 5, 2015.

?

Did you suffer from depression due to TMS?

1. Yes

82.2%
  2. No

2.2%
  3. Not really, but I was often very sad and unhappy.

15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tiggerdyret

Tiggerdyret New Member

Hi,

I'm trying to cure my depression using the TMS tools, but it's hard to truly believe in this cure sometimes, because most of the material is related to physical pain, which doesn't apply directly to me. I also have RSI hand pain, but this is a lot easier to deal with as the information is so much better.

Most of the things i read are about depression related to losing your life value due to the pain. In these cases the healing comes from getting rid of the pain. The thing is that my main problem is the depression and not the physical pain.

Do you know of any good success stories about curing depression, where the psychological symptoms are in focus?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

can only relate my experience. I became very jaded due to the constant pain and used the reverse logic of your statement thinking I was down because of the pain.

''my main problem is the depression and not the physical pain.'' if I could only rid myself of the pain I would no longer feel bad.

Its important that you recognise that psychological factors are causing and increasing perception of your pain.

don't try too hard in pinpointing exact causes as it will only cause inner frustration. try to develop good habits like exercising outdoors, engaging in plenty of social activities, cutting down alcohol if that's a problem and ensure you are sleeping correctly.
    check out Steve Ilardis book 'depression cure' its mostly common sense and helpful.

jennyc19 likes this.
  3. Tiggerdyret

Tiggerdyret New Member

Thanks for your response, but please don't give tips here (I am seeing a psychologist). This is not what this thread is about. It's about finding evidence of people with similar experiences to mine, that I can relate to, because it is stated to be an important part of the healing process in Sarno's books.

But please tell your story, if you have experience with recovering from depression.

Again, thanks. I know you mean well :)

4. IrishSceptic

But this is my experience. you can go to all the psychologist's you want and explore all your hurts but the main thing is realising patterns that lead you to depression and the pressures you place on yourself. Don't really want to go into any more detail than that but I find the theme comes up again and again among depressives. finding purpose/meaning as well as establishing a solid routine that encompasses eating well, exercising regularly and lots of social interaction.

jennyc19, Xara, mm718 and 4 others like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Depression for me can mean the winter blahs. We just had a blizzard in the Chicago are that
    is said to have bee the 5th worst ever here, and only a few inches from being the second worst.

It's early to have the winter blahs, but most of my family and friends have it. Me, too.

Winter blahs make it easier for me to get depressed about other things. I know what they are,
    so I try to be positive about them, telling myself my problems/troubles/worries are temporary
    and will improve or go away as good things happen.

I try not to admit to myself that I am depressed. Maybe that's not TMS... facing an issue...but
    thinking positive helps me. I think Spring and visualize he crocuses and tulips in bloom and
    sitting in the sun in my backyard with my dog, seeing how she loves to roll over on her back in the grass
    and soak up the rays.

jennyc19 likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you read Dr. Howard Schubiner's book Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression? It's an excellent book on how anxiety and depression are forms of TMS (or Mind Body Syndrome) and how to treat them from a Mind Body perspective. I can't remember if he has success stories in the book or not, though. I understand your frustration at the lack of success stories. I think this is because treating depression as a Mind Body Syndrome is even more out of the mainstream than treating pain as MBS. It will take awhile for the concept to catch up and for people with depression to recover using MBS techniques and write their success stories. Hey, maybe you can be one of the first...

North Star and Laudisco like this.
  7. Tiggerdyret

Tiggerdyret New Member

I will definitively write my success story on this forum, when I'm cured.

8. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

If I may suggest Balto's success story? His story is very helpful in general and he lists depression as one of his symptoms. Maybe after reading it you could ask him about his depression recovery. Hope you find the knowledge penicillin you need!

jennyc19 likes this.
  9. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

@Ellen - Where did you get Dr. S' book? Only the first several chapters are available on Amazon and it is not on his website yet. I read the release date is in March.

10. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I feel reading all these books are very helpful, but can be very daunting to the mind to absorb all this info…and it just causes more conflict on what to do about your healing journey to me the best book was Steve O book. It was just what the tms community needed…and any Eckart T books.
    Again this is my opinion and how my mind works.

God Bless

11. Ellen

NS,
    The first 5 chapters of Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression are available as an ebook. The last half of the book is the workbook section (which wouldn't work as an ebook). However, the workbook section is the same as the one in Unlearn Your Pain, so if you have that then all you need is the first 5 chapters of the new book in ebook form. But if you want to buy the whole thing in print, then it will be a little while till its available.

12. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah, okay. I saw that about those chapters being the same as his other book and I do have those so guess I'll just wait. I'm looking forward to when it hits Amazon!

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think we all would like to read more success stories about recovering from depression using TMS belief and techniques.
    It reminds me of how brave Christoper Reeve ("Superman" ) was after breaking his neck in a horse-jumping incident.
    He became a physical quadreplegic (sp?) but didn't let depression cripple him mentally. Many have returned from the
    Gulf wars with similar injuries and are an inspiration to us all in that they are keeping their spirits up and following
    medical treatment to return to normal physical activity. They are some of the best success stories and we read about them
    or see them on television news every day. God bless them.

jennyc19 and Laudisco like this.
  14. Ellen

You can get the Kindle edition of the first 5 chapters now on Amazon, since you don't need the workbook.

North Star and Lizzy like this.
  15. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Dr. Sarno wrote that many of his patients had histories of other pain and TMS equivelents. I wonder how many of us have had depression before we learned of TMS? While we couldn't share success stories, maybe we could share something helpful.

My oun experience with depression involved feelings of not being able to live up to all the shoulds I had put upon myself, feeling unlikeable and unloveable (even while surounded by friends and family who obviously did like/love me). The depression was "dis able ing" in that I was at a point where I didn't cook, clean, go to anything I didn't have to show up at. And I worried about it. It accomplished all the same things pain did. I had to have antidepressants just to get started with phsycotherapy. I saw my therapist for 3 years. She believed depression was a message to us that lets us know something is wrong in our lives, past or present, or in conflict. Doesn't that sound TMSish?

How about all of you? What is in your history?

16. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I just thought I'd share this link to a small collection of TMS success stories from depression:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Depression

I just fixed the very first link on that page. It's called Olive's story and it's a very well written story.

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) and Lizzy like this.
  17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I just had a chance to read that link you posted about depression. Thanks. Some wonderful
    success stories.

18. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

I found that success story about depression quite interesting and inspiring! It's really good to see how TMS theory can be applied to mental health conditions. Thanks so much for fixing the link, Forest. :)

19. mindfulliving

mindfulliving Peer Supporter

Hi buddy....i suffered from just plain anxiety and depression after my pain left me....i had it on and off...ive battled it...took over my life for awhile....but was able to beat it and dont fear it...hope you are doing fine...

Lizzy likes this.
  20. IrishSceptic

Note: I am not advocating anyone do this!

Increasingly psychedelics are being studied in the treatment of mental illness, specifically DrugS like psilocybin, ketamine and DMT. They are having incredibly results. Just wanted to postulate that these may help the person heal a trauma or released unexpress emotions. Time and again I have read accounts(many times from hardened atheists) that they experience a difficult but rewarding confrontation with some inner difficulty that can take many forms. A bit "out there" but interestingly this lady reported resolution of back pain/knee pain&depression. She uncovered during her "experience" with Ayahausca that she had been abused as a child.
    This underlies the TMS notion of repressed emotions getting frozen by stress response & creating distracting symptoms.
    Ayahausca is a drink made from tree root and the active ingredient in DMT. DMT Has been dubbe the spirit molecule and everyone has some inside their brains! Just before death the brain releases this substance and this is what many feel is behind "near death experiences".

http://reset.me/video/dr-joe-tafur-how-ayahuasca-cures-depression-unexplained-illness/

Dorado likes this.