1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Success recognizing emotions connected to pain?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LindaStu, Aug 3, 2015.

1. LindaStu

LindaStu New Member

That's a mixed bag for me. On the positive side, I do know the minute I feel a twinge of pain, my fear starts, and if I keep thinking about it, it can accelerate very quickly. The last two days, I've tried hard to think about Walt's advice that he seems to share often - breathe deeply, think about things that are relaxing, pleasant, in that vein. This is really helping me. The minute I feel it, I forcefully shift to thinking about something I love and am thankful for - there's always beauty in nature - I have 2 dogs I love, music, etc! It seems so simple, but so far as been powerful for me.

On the other side, every time I have people over - I am in pain as I am preparing. I can't figure out why. I have entertained family and friends for years. I think I'm a decent hostess, and believe I enjoy serving and providing for others - maybe I really don't in my unconscious mind? I can't figure out why that triggers me, or how to quit it - it makes me mad! So, I'm working on getting to the bottom of this....

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, LindaSu. I'm glad my suggestions are helpful. Deep breathing really works for me.
    I am a big dog lover and have darling with me now. Enjoy your two dogs. They really help cheer us up and get over pain and hard times.

You may be a perfectionist and that could give you some anxiety when preparing to have house guests. Maybe try not to worry so much about entertaining. Friends and family really just want to visit with you. If they give your house a white-glove treatment, ignore them. Don't knock yourself out. Try to enjoy the prep yourself. If you enjoy yourself as hostess, it will be "catching" and your guests will enjoy themselves.

3. LindaStu

LindaStu New Member

Thank you Walt, for both of your responses to me yesterday. Your insight is always very calming to me. From your picture, it appears darling is a black lab! I have a sweet, sweet, black lab, too. Today, when I journaled on past experiences, I journaled on having our chocolate lab put to sleep a year and a half ago. So, I'm sitting here in tears! I also have a little dog, a yorkie poo - I never dreamed we'd have a little "foo-foo" dog - labs have been more our style. But, I love her, too! And I love how patient and kind Coal the lab is to the little pest. Watching them play is the cutest thing ever and never fails to make me smile. I agree wholeheartedly that our dogs provide tremendous comfort.