1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Substances

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BamBam, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Markus

Markus Guest

Medical MJ is legal in my state, I asked my Dr. about and he gave me a speech abouthow there is more red tape involved with prescribing that sometimes than pain meds like opiods,I'm going to be searching for as new Dr. soon. I like him so I'm not burning any bridges, but,I would try medical mj in heartbeat if he would have said yes.

BamBam likes this.
  2. Laughalot

Laughalot Peer Supporter

I like what you wrote about "reality is really all in our minds." Our experience is totally subjective, and drugs alter the nature of that subjectivity. I spoke with Dr. Schechter recently about anxiety, which is often comorbid with TMS. He mentioned that if anxiety is severe enough, it can be difficult to properly treat TMS symptoms, and that sometimes a very mild anti-depressant or other drug can be helpful for relieving the anxiety symptoms enough for TMS treatment to work.

BamBam, have you ever tried experimenting with edibles for a more sustained and less intense experience? I've heard that as long as it's taken in controlled doses, edibles can leave people much more functional. What you're talking about with the positive/negative mind-state, I really get that. In college I had some great, fun experiences with MJ. Lately though, every experience has been an anxiety-filled, stuck-in-my-head feeling, which is really just an exacerbated form of what I already feel semi-regularly.

BamBam likes this.
  3. Laughalot

Laughalot Peer Supporter

I have a lot of friends who smoke (the joys of living in California) and most regular users seem to fall in two categories. There are those who wake up, get baked, and keep baking all day. And those guys are reclusive, watch a lot of TV, and while they're very intelligent seem to be stuck.

Then there's a group who are social in their use. They still smoke a lot, but they typically seek out social settings in which to do it. Like going outside for a smoke break, and talking to people while they do it. Or getting baked and watching a movie or playing guitar with a group of friends.

That's just my experience, I'm sure there're as many different kinds of MJ users as there are leaves on the tree.

4. beachgirl

beachgirl Peer Supporter

Hi Bam, Bam hope you're doing well amidst all the stuff you mentioned going on. I think the more bad crap that keeps getting heaped at me the more I have my symptoms. I cling on to the hope that amidst all the ridiculous bullshit that has happened to me in the last few years if I could just get rid of my symptoms I would be happy. As bad as everything has been, if I could have that one thing, just that one damn the thing, being healthy and all this horrible symptoms gone I would be happy. And since that may be the one thing I can control I try to have hope. Just that one thing. To be done with this and be all better. Her's hoping.

5. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I'm not going to weigh in because I don't want to give any semblance of giving professional advice, even if you don't exactly know me. Take a look at some Harm Reduction and Moderation Management pages. 12-step has a lot of clout, but there are many roads.