1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stuck right leg

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by NorcalBlue, Feb 8, 2021.

1. NorcalBlue

NorcalBlue New Member

I posted a few days ago and well on my way to accepting TMS. I won't do a post for every symptom, trust me, but one that really baffles me is my right leg. At times, when I walk, my right leg hesitates (gets stuck) during my stride. My stomach falls out from under me and it feels like I'm going to trip or fall down. I never have so far, but that symptom is bizarre. And its the one I hate the most (working on that) - which I'm guessing my brain might know. Thinking my brain might know that losing my ability to walk scares me more than anything. I've searched the forum but don't see any posts about this symptom.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what is the take from our TMS experts? Stuck Freeze response maybe? Thank you.

2. NorcalBlue

NorcalBlue New Member

Stuck Right Leg I meant - lol. Tried deleting Title, but couldn't figure it out.

3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes I've heard of this and similar phenomena. This is a good example of how our fear of physical restriction, is even greater and more painful than the actual symptom. Our fear of pain is often more awful than the actual pain....or in this case the feeling of rigidity. As long was you are giving that part of the brain, creating the preoccupation, another preoccupation, you are reenforcing the TMS. If we look at "the stuck leg" in a symbolic way, your brain is going into "freeze" which is actually just "hyper flight". Underneath the freeze response is an intense fight or flight state. The freeze response is pretty much par for the course for TMS'ers. It's a feeling of helplessness that usually stems from when we were little. Where could we go when we felt shame or danger or criticism? Nowhere (and we also couldn't fight back), so we escape in our own heads with the freeze response.

4. NorcalBlue

NorcalBlue New Member

Thank you for your thoughts yet again Miffy. This is my toughest symptom to be indifferent about - I really try hard to, but gosh its a hard one - when your stomach drops out and you almost stumble. I just try to remind myself that I ran 7 miles the day before and therefore I'm healthy and doing just fine. I think maybe accepting this and my other symptoms is a better course of action moving forward? Just so very very strange.

5. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes maintaining indifference towards symptoms is key. Outcome independence is all about not letting them affect you or preoccupy you, as they are harmless. Success is defined by how little you care. Don't give these symptoms and thoughts any power over you anymore. The mere fact that you ran 7 miles is evidence that there's absolutely nothing wrong with you. Keep reminding yourself of all these pieces of evidence you've accrued. The TMS can't fool you anymore. Symptoms will come and go, do all sorts of weird things, but if you can stay the course and remain unfazed, your brain and body will eventually catch up to your new reality.

6. NorcalBlue

NorcalBlue New Member

Beautifully written Miffy - Thank you so much for your encouragement.