1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stuck in DAY 1.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mandaditya, May 15, 2014.

1. mandaditya

mandaditya New Member

2 months ago I woke up with this strange pain on my left foot. I didn't know when, where or how i injured myself. I had not been in any vigorous physical activities prior to that day. The pain got worse day after day. Then another strange thing happened, I began feeling pain also on my left hand. Sometimes the pain was on the centre of the palm, sometimes it was my thumb, and later it spread to the forearm. I freaked out and went to see our family Doc. He said it might be an early carpal tunnel syndrome (my left hand) and a minor sprained ankle (left foot). He sent me home with some cortisone steroid pills and vitamin Bs for my nerves.
    By now I have gone to see neurologist, rheumatologist, physiotherapist, sports therapists who could not find anything seriously wrong with my hands and feet (yes now the pain have spread to both feet and hands). I have been having trouble finishing work on time because of the hand pain. And recently I have this round itchy bumps on my forearms. My dermatologist said they're atopic dermatitis ; might be an allergic reaction to cat's fleas. (I have had cats for nearly 17 years now and they have fleas like...all the time). I had never been allergic to cats fleas!

I have been reading about TMS a lot lately and been suspecting that my pains and skin problem have been caused by emotional factors. I do fit the TMS personality. I have been under a lot of stress lately. I have been in DAY 1 now for 2 days, but still wondering whether I still need to book an appointment with an Orthopedist. The pain has gotten me confused and scared. Not sure what to do now.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The doctors you've seen found nothing structurally wrong with you so I believe it must be TMS.

The fact that the pain moves around also is typical of TMS.

Don't be confused or scared. Just try to control the stress you're under. Think about what is
    causing the stress and think of ways of reducing it or dealing with it.

What to to now? Practice positive thinking, breathe deeply, think about things or people that
    make you happy.

3. mandaditya

mandaditya New Member

Dear Walt

Thank you for your kind response. It's very uplifting. I guess what I find really hard is not to focus on physical symptoms when they are so real and painful, even though I have already told myself it's because of the stress.
    I have moved on to Day 2 now and have started journaling. I also noticed that my skin problem is starting to heal. So that's encouraging. I hope I find it easier as I progress.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You will find it a lot easier as you progress, of course there will be those days in which you take two steps back but don't let that set you back ok, just move forward and nothing will stop you from success.
    Bless You

mandaditya likes this.