1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling with the fear

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Leslie735, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

How do you get past the fear and anxiety of the symptoms when they are present? My issue is urinary urge, I had been doing really well with it the last several weeks. Hardly have it or when I did I didn't fear it. Today for some reason, while out shopping with my Mom and my Aunts the "urge" showed up and hung around on and off through the evening. I just couldn't shut down the fear and anxiety and worry it was something physical like IC. Any suggestions???

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Leslie,

The fear part is a big battle with my tms as well. It can also be a addiction to our unconscious. I would recomend you read the threads under ask a tms therapists, that are related to fear, anxiety, or worry. I'm pretty sure there is a couple of them.

I would also recomend you read "hope and help for your nerves" by dr. Claire Weekes. Her book and audits have got me through a lot. Herbie has a thread somewhere with the audio's from her which are very helpful. Hang in there it will get better. We need to deeply believe we are ok, lot easier said then done, but we are what we believe. Wishing you the best of luck

Ryan

3. pilatesgirl

pilatesgirl Peer Supporter

Hi Leslie,
    I agree with Ryan to start reading the Claire Weekes book you have. You have been doing well for a couple weeks and now your symptoms returned for whatever reason. That is proof that you are on the right track!

Your nervous system will take time to fully heal so while it is doing this it is easy for your symptoms to return out of the blue. I know how frustrating this is because I am dealing with the same issue. My symptoms have returned a bit over the last several days...but interesingly enough at a bday party today they were gone. Once I got home and checked in on my symptoms they of course came back. Hypervigilance of symptoms keeps your nervous system sensitized and keeps your symptoms around. When you accept them and allow them to just be there without reacting to them your nerves heal and as your system continues to fully heal (takes time)you won't have these days of out of the blue symptoms.

Claire weekes talks about this in her book. Her book is easy to read and quite soothing. I've had her book for almost 20 years.

Take good care of yourself and try to get some extra sleep if you can. Our sensitized systems need the extra sleep to heal.

Xo,
    Julie

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Sheree like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Claire Weekes really is great for relieving anxiety, worry, fear. She leads us down a calming, comforting path
    that helps us put things in their proper perspective. Things we fear or worry about seldom happen, or they don't
    happen to the degree we fear they will.

I try to think happy. If the blue times come on, I practice deep breathing, then laughing, and find some
    distraction to take my mind off my symptom or what's worrying me.

I'm not a doctor, and don't prescribe medication for anything including anxiety, but I recently watched
    a Dr. Oz tv show and he said that there is an herb from India that has been used by those folk for centuries
    that helps relieve anxiety and stress. Oz suggests everyone take it.

It's called Ashwagandha and you can read about it by doing a google search.
    I just bought it online from Swanson for just a few bucks and have begun taking it twice daily to see if it works.
    So far, it seems to. Others say it takes about 5 days before they felt any noticeable relief, and I'm on my third day.

Just a suggestion for you to look into. It's a natural stress reducer-anti-depressant with lots of other benefits
    according to Oz and others. I know we need to deal with our anxieties through TMS but even Dr. Sarno says
    it's okay to also try something to relax us.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else takes or has taken Ashwaganha and if it works/worked for them.
    I wouldn't take any pharmaceutical product but a natural herb sounds okay to me.

5. Leslie735

Thank you both for your replies! I'm going to get back to reading my books, I haven't been reading lately for some reason. I REALLY need to work on my fear, it gets out of control sometimes and I just sit and worry. I'm so glad I found this forum! Really I am!!

6. Leslie735

Even when the symptoms are not present, the fear still creeps up on me. It happened today, I was doing some mind searching and positive thinking and afterward the fear struck with "what if it really is something?" "What if it lasts forever/gets worse?" I don't know how to stop that.

7. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Leslie,

At least you are becoming aware of how much you fear. That is awesome and the first step in addressing it. Keep listening to those Claire Weekes recordings over and over till it sets in. It takes a while to change the way you react to fear. Once you start the worrying it feels like it never stops, trust me I know the feeling! It will get better, just accept its there and the thoughts will come. Try taking some deep breaths when you do notice your feeling worry, fear, or anxiety. In the end you will be ok, just let the fear come and don't react to it, accept it.

Ryan

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Ellen like this.
  8. Leslie735

I need to record Claires auto and listen to it in my car or in the house. I need to spend more time working on TMS work. The fear is just such a struggle for me. Even when I'm feeling fine, the fear creeps in.

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Leslie all the advice you have had above will be very beneficial to you as you move ahead. That last advice from ryan9546 is golden.
    I just wanted to let you see a video that could be of some value to you as it has helped me too. Bless you

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  10. Leslie735

Thank you for that video, VERY true!!!!