1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Struggling with my first extinction burst

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Crissyxox, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Ho hum. I know exactly WHY emotionally this is happening I keep self talking and doing my journaling and mediating (Walt, you'd be so proud! ;) ) but my mind slowly sinks back to what if this isn't tms.....I know in my heart it is but my brain is powerful
    There is no coincidence in the pain reduction while feeling powerful and tellingly my brain that this distraction won't work anymore. I intend to deal with every emotion I'm covering up. Making connections between my physical symptoms and emotional pain is super powerful and literally results in less physical symptoms. If it were structural that wouldn't happen. I take back that power. I won't restrict my movements because that is fear and fear isn't real. It's a distraction too

2. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Ps. I thought I believed 100% in my diagnosis of tms. I still think I do but after reading my post I clearly have moments of reservation. Weak moments I guess.

Today I accept where I am at. It will be better tomorrow in sure.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I hope you're hanging in there Crissy! It can't be done perfectly --any of it-- but it can be done with steadfastness!

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Which you apparently have!

5. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

This is very normal. It is one of our brain's survival mechanism. Negative emotions created symptoms. Symptoms create FEAR. Fear tell our brain to look for causes and treat it. The problem is we and our conventional med doctors often "guessed" wrong of what is the cause of our symptoms and we get stuck in the fear - symptoms - fear ... loop.
    Thanks to Sarno and other MB doctors, all we need to do now is "Choose" to believe that our ill is tms/anxiety then we're on our way to healing.
    We have to power to "choose" how to think.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  6. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Thanks guys. Feeling way better within a few hours (with some help from my tms therapist) I was able to come back down to my baseline. Interestingly enough, my mil mad me really mad. I felt fine after that. Ha. Just another reminder that tms is pervasive and reinforces my diagnosis big time. Thank you again for your support.