1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling with intense symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by map76, Sep 13, 2022.

1. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

I have largely accepted that I have TMS for about 20 years. I am positive that there is nothing structurally wrong with my body, but I have never had much success getting to the root cause of my symptoms. I was able to function pretty well, but always lived with a certain level of pain and depression. I took Cymbalta, even though it didn’t seem to help much.

Recently, after discontinuing Cymbalta, I had a complete meltdown, physically and mentally. My pain is the worst it has ever been, and I have all the symptoms of major depression. I resumed the Cymbalta 6 weeks ago, but I’m still feeling awful.

I’m now thinking the medication might not be the issue. Maybe it was just a convenient time for my brain to wreak havoc.

I have tried my best to treat this all as a TMS flare up, but the pain and depression symptoms are so severe that I cannot function. I am unable to work or do any activities I enjoy. I’m lying in bed afraid every morning, wondering how things got this bad.

I’m trying to get active with TMS recovery exercises, but I can’t shake the thought that it’s been too many years of pain for me to recover.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you read any tms books like Dr. Sarno? It’s a good place to start.
    One of the free programs on this website is also a great place to start. Go slow if you need to. I completed the SEP program in 60 days. I would just do the reading one day, the exercise the next day. Sometimes reading/watching/listening took three days. Lowering your current stress level and getting your nervous system to calm down right now is very important. I used somatic tracking and meditation. Spent time laying outdoors to enjoy watching birds, the clouds moving, fresh air. Listened to free audio books through my library, slow walks ( just a 1/2 block at first!) chilled to gentle sitar music on youtube and slowly began working on my mindset.
    Reading success stories can also help to calm your mind and body and quell doubt.

map76 likes this.
  3. rand

rand Peer Supporter

Duration doesn't matter, there are people here who had pain for decades before finding out about TMS and were able to heal. Definitely shake that thought.

JanAtheCPA and map76 like this.
  4. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

I should clarify that I’ve known about TMS for 20 years. I never fully recovered from back, leg, and foot pain, but managed to function pretty well once I accepted that my pain wasn’t structural.

A month ago, my symptoms suddenly became really severe (similar to when they started 20 years ago.) Frustrating to be back at square one.