1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling with fear

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dcl1597, Mar 31, 2016.

1. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Through my journaling I've noticed that while I have some of the typical emotions like anger, my biggest problem is fear. I feel like fear is one of the hardest emotions to handle, because it's so internal- my fears don't really stem in other people so much as fearing my own health and body and anxieties. And while I've done a lot of reasoning and affirmation with myself, I still find those fears creeping up on me. Does anyone have any advice or winning strategies that have helped them combat personal fears? I feel like I've done a lot of coping, but have a hard time getting over some of my fears even when logic defies them. Thanks everyone!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, dc. Fear is a toughy and is for most of us. We're living in very stressful times, no matter where we are. I live in a suburb close to Chicago and while it;'s normal and peaceful here, it's a war zone in Chicago. Then there's the rotten economy and worries about terrorist attacks.

I have fears too, and fight them mainly by deep breathing, thinking positive, living in the present, and laughing. I tell myself life can be wonderful but it also can be a pile of doo-doo.

I find some Youtube videos on fear helpful, and also some quotes from famous people who may be rich but know what fear is...

Oprah Winfrey: “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.”

Oprah Winfrey: “The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power.”

Jake Gyllenhaal: “Do you know what fear stands for? False Evidence Appearing Real.

Milton Berle -- “Laughter is an instant vacation.”

Erma Bombeck: “If you can’t make it better, you can laugh at it. When humor goes, there goes civilization. There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.”