1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling with fear

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dcl1597, Mar 31, 2016.

1. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Through my journaling I've noticed that while I have some of the typical emotions like anger, my biggest problem is fear. I feel like fear is one of the hardest emotions to handle, because it's so internal- my fears don't really stem in other people so much as fearing my own health and body and anxieties. And while I've done a lot of reasoning and affirmation with myself, I still find those fears creeping up on me. Does anyone have any advice or winning strategies that have helped them combat personal fears? I feel like I've done a lot of coping, but have a hard time getting over some of my fears even when logic defies them. Thanks everyone!

2. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Honestly... just jumping in, as hard as it can be sometimes, it is primarily the way I face my fears. Keeping a positive outlook on it regardless of the outcome is important too. So instead of rating it by how you feel during or after, know that you've already won by just facing the fear. Positive affirmations and visualize yourself completing the goal. Floating as described by Claire Weeks is another goodie to practice. And finally... Mindfulness exercises help to try to live in the present. As most of our fears, worries and anger are about the past or future, if we try to focus on living in the present we will calm ourselves down a lot. Mindfulness is also about recognizing when our thoughts start to wander, so don't beat yourself up if you do, congratulate yourself on recognizing.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    brendan537 likes this.