1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling again--Spondylolisthesis

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by aprilquilts, Jun 18, 2018.

1. aprilquilts

aprilquilts Newcomer

I believe I have struggled for a long time with TMS. I was dx with spondylolisthesis a few years ago and was largely confined to home. I also struggled a lot with depression. Before learning about TMS, I had several nerve ablation procedures to kill the nerves in my back. This yields great results for about 6 months until the nerves grow back. The last ablation was last September, and in the meantime, I started doing a lot of reading about TMS. I really believed I had licked the back pain, and wouldn't need the ablation treatment again which is very painful. I'm leaving for a two month trip to Europe in two weeks, and this past Friday, the pain returned. I even dreamt about it last night. I'm trying to get into the doctor for another procedure, but in the back of my mind, I'm not sure that is the issue. I don't know what to do as the clock is ticking down to this trip. I may not be able to get an appointment. If I do, it will be tomorrow or Wednesday with a few days recovery. I just don't know if this truly is physiological or if it is stress and TMS. Help!

Also, I have the "Unlearn Your Pain" book, and wanted to go through the workbook portion, but it is so darn big, and space is at a premium. Are there workbook type books for TMS (journaling prompts, etc) that are available on Kindle?

Thanks!

2. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Aprilquilts

Welcome to the TMS site. There is lots of info here, dealing with many issues, including spondylolisthesis. This is one of the issues that I have as well, but I do not suffer from any pain, so pain is not 'mandatory' with spongy and can be released, fully.

The current stress you are in, to get ready for this trip, is probably not helping the pain. Since you have begun using some TMS principles it is probably very likely that some of your pain release has been a result of your mind shifting with your understanding of your own issues and how they have most likely created the pain. If you can continue to shift your thought patterns around your pain, the pain will shift, and release.

Since you have a kindle, I would think you could download books, etc. Download Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain, read it on the plane, then download his book the Divided Mind, both good books and not long reads. Begin your journaling, maybe you can do it on the Kindle too. Journalling helped me immensely, some find they do not need to journal, but I found it gave me more clarity in my thoughts. No need to keep the journals, so be honest and dig deep, then just erase or destroy them, no one needs to know but you. Also, there are a some good youtube videos and audios. Scroll through these, listen to some, there are lots of good stories of recovery and methods used to get to that place..

Let us know how it goes. Hope your trip is good.

Kindly
    Lainey

Lizzy likes this.
  3. aprilquilts

aprilquilts Newcomer

Thanks so much. I have Sarno's book on my Kindle. I want to start journaling, but I'm not sure what prompts to follow. I am looking for a downloadable workbook that will help guide me in this. I will look at the Divided Mind too. Do you know of other Kindle titles that will offer a workbook style ? Thanks so much.

4. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

There is a book by Dr David Hanscom titled 'Back in Control'. He is a back surgeon that has come to the realization that much of what ails us is TMS. An interesting read and he does give guidelines in his book about how to journal and what may be good to explore. I enjoyed his book. His story, in and of itself, is very interesting. It can probably be downloaded as well because I think it is sold on Amazon.
    It may not be the 'workbook' you are looking for, but it offers much advice and explanation.
    Lainey

5. aprilquilts

aprilquilts Newcomer

Thanks so much. I think you're right. I will look at those books. I was happy to find the full version of "Unlearn Your Pain" is available on Kindle now. I will look at the other books too and maybe reread Sarno's book.

6. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

aprilquilts,
    and. . . enjoy your trip, in spite of your aches and pains.
    Lainey