1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Stress translates into pain in a particular part of the body

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dabatross, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

I think Ive seen some discussion on this somewhere on the board but wanted to bring it up again. Does anybody else see a connection between stress and pain in only certain parts of the body? In my personal case whenever I feel stressed or have anxiety about things in my life, this usually translates into eye tightness and aching. Im wondering if you all have had similar instances where stress translates into pain in a particular part in your body each time. It's like theres a stress connection between the brain and this body part so when you feel anxious or stressed out you get pain in this area. My dad brought this thought up to me that Ive associated stressful situations with pain in my eyes so now when Im stressed thats where the pain goes perhaps as an outlet for that stress. Thats the whole idea behind TMS if im not mistaken.

Ive also learned that good things in your life can cause stress too I didn't really think of this before. This would explain why when Im on vacation and worried about my symptoms I still have the same pain in my eyes like I had been working on the computer for 8 hours even though I hadn't touched it. This is happened to me on multiple occasions, including today, where Im not doing near work but Im getting the same symptoms in my eyes like I had been. The oxygen deprivation theory would make sense here because if my eyes weren't getting enough oxygen they would get tensed up and that would explain the tightness I feel in the inner corners of my eyes.

So im curious to hear if you all have similar occurrences with your pain?

thanks

alex

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Alex,

It's getting better for me in the last few weeks, but weekends/vacations are often a time when I'm more likely to have pain or anxiety. I think there are less distractions so I start distracting myself with these symptoms. I've also had happy/positive things trigger me too but less so now that I know about how TMS works. Like I'm feeling the emotions more now and not as much of the pain and anxiety.

~ Veronica

3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I may be making a career change soon. I find out this week whether or not I am offered a new job. I have been thinking all kinds of thoughts around leaving my current job, taking this new position, fearing telling my current employers, fearing an unknown job, etc. Meanwhile I have been helping to shift furniture around this weekend. My back feels stiff and my mind wants to pull me towards fear of being hurt again. I know my back is strong and a bit of lifting here and there isn't going to affect it. I tell myself that the tightness in my back is due to all the stressing about the job thing. Also yesterday I had a migraine. I was with friends and had a really enjoyable day planned. I took some medicine and just carried on. So yes I do agree, we have our hotspots. Stuff going on in our lives like this is prime territory for TMS.

4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi YB - this is a biggie right here. Changing jobs can be really stressful - but I hope this is a good thing. Remember: you only have to tell your current employers once, have your first day once, get the biggies out of the way - once. I think if you take it day by day, and little by little - you can make this a nice smooth transition.But yes - it's a big deal! Hope it's a good one!

And you're probably right. Just take it very easy and let your friends do the majority of the work. You can sit back and see if it all fits right instead of trying to lift too much. Day by day - moment by moment. I say this since I'm trying to learn myself.

And Alex: Enjoy the vacation instead of focusing on whatever has you uptight. In my world vacations are rare, and I did the same thing for the first day of a short (but awesome) vacation last year. It was a day before I "joined the group" - I was still at home. Are you still at home? Or are you truly enjoying the experience?

BG