1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 12 Stress Scale

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, Jun 1, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Today's reading was about a tool called the "stress scale". It assigns points to certain events you have experienced in the last year and that are considered to be potentially stressful. The more of these stressful events you have experienced, the more likely you might be to develop psychosomatic conditions like TMS. It is not a diagnostic tool, but I've personally experienced a number of these events in my life within the last year, including the death of a close family member (both grand parents), personal illness, change in health of a family member, change in responsibility at work, trouble with boss, and change in social activities.

According to the scale, I'm moderately at risk of developing a condition like TMS. My personality also puts me at risk. This scale helped me realize that a number of stressful events may be the cause of my TMS pain, coupled with my history of anxiety/fear and low self esteem.

I remain hopeful that the realization of my repressed emotions over the past 15 months will lead to a reduction in my pain and a return to my pre-TMS life.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, MSZ. Acceptance of the psychological causes of your pains is a big big step toward healing.
    You recognize you've had and still have a lot of emotional stress.

Journaling about your emotional stresses will help you to heal. Try to take things as they come and not worry or
    fear them. Balance your stresses such as much as you can with things you enjoy doing and people you like being with.

Keep positive that your acceptance of TMS pain is going to heal you, and it will.