1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stress & Pain Conference Dr. Oz reference & other rants

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stef, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

I am on Day 10 of the Structured Education Program, am 36 years old & about to start my 2nd semester of nursing school. Needless to say, all this information has SHAKEN my world. Part of the reason I went back to school to pursue nursing is all these pain problems I had. In case you are wondering, the other 2 reasons I decided to go back to school are that I didn't like/believe in what I was doing so much anymore (I worked in pharmacy & already didn't believe that pills are the way but a plant based diet such as Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live is) & also that I just didn't think my career was "good enough" (queue the TMS personality). Anyway, since I already didn't feel I was going to be a mainstream nurse I still think my calling within the field of nursing will find me. Just the reasons I am going back this semester are different than the reasons I started. I find it funny that I quit my pharmacy tech work because I didn't believe in it & now I am in a similar boat with nursing. Just about a week ago I was literally crying to my husband about how can I possibly go on in nursing. Again, I truly feel my path is within nursing...it is even clearer to me now.

I was just in the kitchen cooking and listening to the Stress & Pain Conference YouTube video where Dr. Schubiner mentioned we need to get Oprah & Dr. Oz behind us. So how do we make that happen??? The message needs to get out there more! Although, I feel I saw something like this on Dr. Oz a couple of years ago & thought it was nonsense at the time. Am I behind & something was on Dr. Oz f

I also received an email from my school regarding an essay contest in which the topic is "Is there a story from the history of the health science or public health that has inspired you in some way or that has shaped your understanding of humanity's quest for scientific knowledge & the development of effective clinical or public health practice?" Um, HELL YES! Normally I would delete these emails but I feel compelled to write on this (2500 word limit). Given my typical TMS personality though I can find myself diving into this obsessively to make the perfect essay with all the facts (even though I am not worried about winning the $5o0) that this can end up taking me too much time. So I am torn if I should take this on 10 days into this recovery program. The due date for the essay is Oct 12th but of course I would want to get most of it done before school starts Aug. 24th (if I decide to do it). I am reading The Divided Mind right now so I have some ideas floating in my head. I am thinking of a topic on "When Was the Mind Taken Out of Medicine?" BUT maybe I should just drop it & focus on recovery & school starting back up.

In addition, my school sent an email just a couple of days later regarding a new Mental Health Committee formed & they are accepting applications for various positions. I am interested in the Outreach Coordinator position (it will focus on developing & supporting programs to improve student wellness, including mindfulness practices, especially academic curricula). It just seems like such important work. But again, I wonder if I am thinking of too many things. I usually take on NOTHING extra while in school because I dive into my studies as an artist would dive into a new painting. I just don't like to put the extra burden on myself...HOWEVER, I am trying to lead a more balanced life. It can't be all school.

I know my priority had to be on recovery.

So back to this Dr. Oz thing...how do we make this happen? I will happily volunteer to go on the show. ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Sienna likes this.
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

do you have a link to this?
    Stress & Pain Conference YouTube video

3. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Sure. Here you go. Enjoy.

Grateful17 likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Stef, thanks for sharing the video on stress and pain. It rings familiar bells.

I thank God I had severe back pain because it led me to learning about Dr. Sarno and TMS.
    I healed through discovering repressed emotions going back to my parents' divorce when I was 7.
    I've become a new man... happier and healthier.

Stef likes this.
  5. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

I know Walt. I am learning so much about myself & see myself becoming better, stronger, & more peaceful. If my body wasn't screaming at me to pay attention to it I would probably continue on in my self destructive ways.

Sienna likes this.
  6. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Walt,

Could you please explain further how you came to discover and acknowledge those repressed emotions?

Was it through jounalling?

Thanks in advanceĀ”

Stef likes this.
  7. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

I am interested in that too. Sienna, read Walt's profile story...it is wonderful! I consider Walt my friend...what a guy!