1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stress holds pain in our back

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Quote, Dr.Oz - When we're stressed, we tend to hold a lot of tension in our lower back, which, in turn, can severely exacerbate and prolong back pain

Real Age Article- To reduce stress, avoid situations that seem to raise your blood pressure or cause you to feel stressed. Stress tightens your muscles, preparing them for the fight-or-flight response. This tightening can make your back ache and can cause a small ache to become a strong pain. When in an unavoidable stressful situation, be especially conscious of your posture and of the usual back-safety tips.

The following are three techniques to help reduce stress:
    1. Breathing: You can release tension by inhaling deeply and then exhaling slowly to a silent count of about six seconds. Do this three times every hour and whenever you feel tense.
    2. Exercise: Take a 10 minute walking break to reduce tension, boost your energy and improve your mood. The effects tend to last for about 1-2 hours.
    3. Calming: Sit quietly, as comfortably as you can, and close your eyes. Relax your muscles, starting with your feet and slowly working toward your head and face. Breathe through your nose, easily and comfortably. As you exhale, silently say a single-syllable word. Do this without interruption for 10-20 minutes. When you are done, sit quietly and keep your eyes closed for a couple of minutes. Open your eyes and sit quietly for another couple of minutes before you get up.
    Real Age- 2009

Both of the above can be found at this site page url:
    http://www.sharecare.com/health/back-pain/how-reduce-stress-prevent-pain

Thanks Guys, Both articles are right together - I joined Dr. Oz quote with Real Ages add
    They go right together......

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Herbie. This is great. I will copy it and keep it on my computer desktop.

I've used the 3 techniques in the past and they really do help reduce stress.

I know my stress today is from being disappointed that my boss couldn't pay me what I expected.
    But I'm glad for what he was able to give me and will just follow the 3 techniques above and focus on
    September which I know is going to be a lot better.

I always tend to create a catastrophe in my head when things go bad.
    I have to stop thinking the world will come to an end if I am not perfect or life isn't perfect.

Your posting came at the right time for me. I hope it helps others.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Man Walt you got a good understanding of Tms Healing, Yes these are the steps for stress
    As I write it (like You)- I have to practice, ya know Walt its the combo
    and then breaking it all down to meditations and different styles after we get used to it.
    Then as it turns habit, we heal eventually and we know these meditations and patience tecniques
    are what healed me and you, as I said- its the combination of all we put together
    but when you break al the knowledge and wisdom down
    its still
    1) awareness
    2) Acceptances
    3) meditations
    4) Calming or soothing
    5) losing the fear and focus
    6) and living in the now
    7) Laughing on purpose- 3 times a week

It sounds like a bunche to remember but in 6 steps as mentioned-

its pretty cool to do after you get used to it ya know.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

And LAUGH. I'm finding it to be one of the best stress reducers.

I just think of something funny or pretend by just laughing.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks Walt, I have to admit I don't get enough of 7 at all
    But since you've sent me the soothing movies and the comedies
    I've been doing a lot more of it. I want to say to the readers-
    I added number 7 after Walt told me too , so now you see his genius.
    and also a secret for him that he taught me , and without it-
    Id still be lost, thanks Walt