1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

stress fracture in shin? Is this TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by savasana, Jan 14, 2019.

1. savasana

savasana Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I'm going to be seeing a doctor this week to get an x ray of my shin because I have all the symptoms of what is called a "stress fracture." Noticeable swelling in the area and pain if the area in question is touched but doesn't hurt to walk. I've had this pain for quite a while, actually for probably 6 months or longer. I'm not a marathon runner or anything and don't particularly put a lot of stress on the shin.

It's making me wonder, is this TMS? Does anyone have any info regarding this?

Thank you,
    S

2. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

I’d say get the x-ray and see what the doc says. Then go from there. If it’s been 6 months something most likely will show up if it’s a fracture.

3. savasana

savasana Peer Supporter

I got the x day and still waiting on results. But I went to an orthopedic surgeon for a diagnosis and she said it was 99% a stress fracture. I have to wear a boot and stay off of it as much as possible for 6-8 weeks.

What I find interesting is that this IS a an overuse injury, the kind that the TMS people say “isn’t possible” and that’s troubling to me because I always believed that was the case, but apparently not. I don’t know what to make of any of this anymore.

4. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

I had a fracture in the 2nd metatarsal—they gave the diagnosis but it didn’t show up on the X-ray right away. I decided maybe they were wrong and tried to walk around on it without assistance. That was a mistake. Took 2 months to heal. I listened the 2nd time and I completely healed. That was 1989. No issues since. I would do what they say in this case.

5. savasana

savasana Peer Supporter

Thank you for this encouragement. It really helps.

stayfit65 likes this.