1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stress and anxiety

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I am getting worried. A couple of days ago I was walking back home from a day in town and felt tense a bit tired.
    Anyway, while walking I was listening to music on my Bluetooth earphones and feeling a bit light headed and I started to zone out and for some reason I started to concentrate on my legs walking and I started finding the motion monotonous and I remember looking at the familiar scenes when suddenly they didn't seem familiar and started to look strange.

With this feeling I started feeling out of control like dizzy for a split second and I thought I was going to collapse. In panic I instantly shook myself out of that feeling and took my Bluetooth headphones out of my ears and I felt a bit better.

The following day I walked back into town for lunch when in the supermarket I felt my neck and jaw stiff tense and tight and a strange falling feeling as if I was going to have a panic attack.

Again in panic I quickly got out and went home. I remember when walking back the pattern shapes on the pavement were making me feel more light headed and worse and I thought I was going to collapse.

When I got home I felt terrible. I was walking about my living room in panic with a migraine headache feeling hot, sweating, tense, dizzy, restless and on edge and everything started to look unreal and blurred and I feared I was going to lose control.

I then went to the bathroom as I felt a bit sick too. I tried to vomit but all I was doing was gagging and dry heaving which made me feel a bit better. This is making me wonder if it is migraine symptoms or emotional stress and anxiety that is causing this.

I have had anxiety and panic disorder for a few years and followed the works of Claire Weekes which helped me greatly but now I feel I'm falling back to square one again with this panic disorder unless it's symptoms of migraine (TMS) which I have been diagnosed with.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Artmuzz

Oh yeah I remember those links that you posted on my thread about nocturnal panic attacks. Very helpful thanks. I have been sitting here in tears over the symptoms I am feeling.

4. Dorado

I am so sorry to hear that, Artmuzz. :(

You don’t have to answer these questions for me - they’re more for you and not something you have to disclose on here. Have you identified anything specific causing your anxiety? Have you talked to a doctor about neurotransmitter testing and possibly taking supplements like 5-HTP for a few weeks or months if you’re low on something like serotonin (do not combine with anti-depressants or serotonin-increasing drugs like MDMA), just to help you through this? Are friends and family aware of how you’re feeling and providing support? Also, are you taking care of yourself physically, and what relaxation techniques are you employing?

5. Artmuzz

I don't take any pharmaceutical medication for my anxiety, depression and panic disorder but I try to eat a healthy diet even though I eat a lots of packets of potato chips and I like my occasional Indian take away. The only person who is supporting me is my friend and support worker. I have been thinking of taking 5-HTP but scared of the side effects.

I go for walks every day even though a I am overweight and I enjoy cycling. Cycling is what made my depression a bit more tolerable and I relax by watch YouTube videos while lying on the sofa and doing deep breathing techniques. I am hoping to get back into my art and painting soon and I enjoy making and listening to music.

I have been going through a lot of emotional stress and suppressed anger through my sister being a bitch and blaming me for things which weren't my fault and through other things that are bothering me from my past which I am dwelling on.

One thing I find strange is when a I start feeling those anxiety and panic symptoms I go to the bathroom and gag (dry heave) and once I do that I feel a little better.

6. Dorado

Family stress is NEVER easy. I am glad, however, you can recognize that whatever your sister is blaming you for isn’t actually your fault. At the end of the day, these types of stressors can absolutely cause emotional and physical health issues (TMS), including anxiety, depression, chronic pain, dysfunctional nervous systems, etc. Your well-being is so much more important than anything else.

Do you have access to therapy, and do you think it would help you? Have you tried meditation (it induces neuroplasticity and literally changes the structure of your brain and the panic-triggering amygdala)? Meditation can be great for not only enhancing your mood, but practicing forgiveness and releasing repressed emotions. I 100% agree in avoiding pharmaceutical medications at all costs unless there is truly no effective alternative option for the individual, and I understand being hesitant to try natural options; would you be open to finding a doctor who takes a more integrative approach, can help you create a natural regimine, and will monitor you to ensure you’re safe?

These are just a few ideas, and you certainly don’t have to do any or all of them! There are many ways you can overcome panic - you just need to believe there’s nothing wrong with your body, accept this as a natural bodily response to strong emotions (remember, every single person on the planet develops some form of TMS at some point, no matter how big or small!), and believe you’re healed. Panic can be terrifying, but you’re so much stronger. Your body is simply reacting to stimuli; you can teach it how to react differently. It’s not nearly as powerful as your consciousness.

7. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

How I understand you. . . .
    a few days ago I went for a medical check-up and while I was in line to pay the visit I said to myself run away, leave everything and run away because I had so many symptoms due to anxiety. But then I remembered that if I had left and if I had not made this visit then I would have had so many problems doing so many other things and so I forced myself and I paid the visit and I entered the doctor's room and for all the time I was sick. No one should try this kind of feeling, it's really painful to think that a simple medical examination can make you an anxiety attack. However I did what Claire says I was listening to my anxiety without doing resistance but it was really difficult. Claire also says that with this system, sooner or later anxiety will end because the fuel that keeps her alive ends. . I'm just saying that I can not take this hard work anymore because until now it has not brought great results except for the fact that I force myself to do things and to go to places where I know I will feel bad. I hope that sooner or later this technique will work. . if there is anyone who has any other idea please tell us. . .

8. Dorado

Have either of you read this? No need to buy meditation music products; the information alone is amazing:

https://eocinstitute.org/meditation/8-reasons-meditation-best-natural-anxiety-relief-technique/ (11 Compelling Reasons Meditation Can Relieve Anxiety Forever – EOC Institute) (11 Compelling Reasons Meditation Can Cure Anxiety – EOC Institute)

I know anxiety and panic VERY well myself, and this information is one of the things that’s greatly helped me, as it empowered me to feel more in control of the panic “attacks.” My serotonin, dopamine, GABA, cortisol, norepinephrine, epinephrine, etc. were all very out of range according to some neurotransmitter testing my doctor ordered, and I’m embracing a mind-body approach to healing. This includes TMS work, meditation, natural supplements, physical activity, and eating as healthily as possible (but still enjoying a reasonable indulgence or two a day).

Meditation has been HUGE, and it’s also very effective for balancing and creating positive neurotransmitters. I still feel a little panicky at times, but I no longer feel like I’m stuck outside of my own body. I once had to call my mom because I felt like I wasn’t real anymore, and I just broke down crying until I could make it to an immediate care clinic because I was convinced I was dying and going insane. They tried giving me Xanax (I took half of one and then disposed of the rest because I ultimately wasn’t comfortable with it) and told me to meditate and walk.

Also, Ram Dass has some helpful information I used daily:

https://www.ramdass.org/meditation-2/

https://www.ramdass.org/meditation-for-anxiety-and-stress/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
    plum and Mary80 like this.
  9. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

I'll read it. I meditated with Dr. Shubiner's book but now I have stopped. It helped me to focus on the pain, but the anxiety does not go away, so now I use the claire weekes method but the anxiety does not go away .. I hope to be successful sooner or later. You know lately I stopped using so many exercises, I realized that they are not necessary, now I have understood many things and now look confident, but I come here and read and keep me informed and I like to share, this helps me, I consider it a good exercise . In any case, thanks .. I will read from your links!
    thank you @Caulfield

10. Dorado

Mary80 likes this.
  11. Artmuzz

Thanks for the links.

I think another reason for my dizzy spells and anxiety symptoms reappearing is because I am also dwelling in times from my past where I was ripped off from certain people and doing favours for them and getting used and disposed off.

One such time is doing a guy a favour of helping him produce some songs for an album for his benefit and he didn't return the favour and I didn't get the credit which is bothering me to the point where I feel I'm losing my mind. I have tried to forget it but it comes back to haunt me every time. What I was thinking is maybe it's the fact I am highly sensitised that is making me react to the thoughts.