1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming show on the power of the mind over our bodies - family friendly!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Nov 26, 2022.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I am greatly enjoying a new short series on the National Geographic Channel, called "Limitless", with Chris Hemsworth (yes, aka Thor). It's also on Disney+.

As my thread title states, it's all about the power of our minds to overcome our perceived physical limitations, with an additional goal of adopting lifetime habits which experts think extend our lives in the best possible physical and mental states of health.

You might think that Chris Hemsworth doesn't suffer from physical limitations, and of course, compared to most of us (speaking as a 70-plus-year-old female) you would be right - but I am finding it fascinating and even inspiring nonetheless. He works with trainers, but in the very first episode his coach is actually some sort of mind professional (I can't remember if she's a psychiatrist or psychologist or whatever, but this is what she does) who helps him overcome his fear and anxiety about the first challenge, which is probably the least physically-challenging activity in the series. It certainly sets him up mentally to address the next five challenges.

Obviously it's entertainment. It's produced with slightly excessive drama and suspense, balanced with a certain amount of humor, and beautiful (mostly Australian) locations (although the one up in the Arctic was not what you would call beautiful) - all designed to suck in the viewer and keep us coming back for more - but that's what entertainment is for, and I appreciate all of those things, along with the fact that Hemsworth is very open about discussing his fears, anxiety, and doubt. He's charmingly self-deprecating and has a nicely dry sense of humor. The occasional inclusion of his fun and attractive family doesn't hurt anything.

If you like this kind of thing, check it out. There is a mind-over-fear lesson to be learned in each one. The participants still refer to "mind over matter" - which I now interpret as "the rational mind winning out over the irrational fear-based grey matter that makes up our unconscious primitive brains".

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    hecate105 and Ellen like this.