1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Strange Symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mdh157, Apr 12, 2015.

1. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Hello all,

I'm still struggling with my twitching/pain but neither seems to make any sense. Twitching comes/goes but is all over, the pain also comes/goes but is pretty much limited to my arms/legs/feet/hands, sometimes an ache, sometimes almost a cramp-like pain but the muscle isn't tightened up (and not as severe as your garden variety cramp either). Biggest issue is the pain, one minute it is pretty bad, comes out of nowhere, then it is gone for a while, then back but in the foot instead of the hand, then hangs around for a few hours, then gone again within 5-10 minutes, etc. Last week I woke up and could have sworn fireworks were going off on my hand, but it only lasted about a minute, then gone.

I like the fact that the symptoms are unpredictable, lends itself to TMS, but it still worries me and sometimes the pain is so great it keeps me from sleeping. I think if I could stop worrying this is something that is going to kill me then i'd have half the battle won.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mdh. I'm so sorry you are in such pain and can't get a good night's sleep.
    TMS is hitting you hard because your subconscious may think you are close to
    discovering your repressed emotions. Dr. Sarno says when you discover them,
    you don't even have to solve an issue repressed from years ago, you will heal because
    you have brought the issue to the surface. That happened for me, but I found it
    very helpful to forgive those who had caused me my childhood distresses.

Keep telling yourself it is not structural and you are going to heal.

I find watching Youtube videos on sleeping techniques to be very helpful.
    Deep breathing and counting from 100 backwards to 1 are good ways to get to sleep.

The pain can be awful but it is not going to kill you. Your subconscious won't do that to you.

3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Thank you Walt. My fear is the worst thing right now, it is taking my joy away, not to mention my sleep. I seem to be making progress and then I get a symptom I haven't had before and it sets me back into the fear that I have a dreaded disease. Going to try therapy again, hopefully that will help. I am a completely different person than I was 6 months ago with respect to sleep and symptoms, at least with the other health scares I have had the symptoms were limited and didn't change, they just persisted a while. This is unlike anything I have ever dealt with. I was stupid enough to consult Dr. Google when it started, that's when my fear level really went straight up. It has yet to come down despite me knowing that anxiety is playing a part in it.

You know what else is strange? I will be sitting by my cell phone and it rings and it startles me.......never did that before and its not a loud or obnoxious ring.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015