1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

strange experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by LaughingKat, Jul 30, 2019.

1. LaughingKat

LaughingKat Peer Supporter

Yesterday, I had a strange experience, thought perhaps it is not so strange for TMS symptoms. I was flying home from a weeklong visit with my daughter and I began to feel the usual neck tension and headache that tends to happen to me in the late afternoon, especially when in a less-than-relaxed situation like flying.

I felt the neck tension and expected the headache to start but it didn't. At least I think it didn't. The two go together so predictably for me that I really couldn't even tell! Did I have a headache or didn't I? I kept "looking" for it, but I relaxed my neck as much as possible, recognized that I was in a stressful situation (compounded by sadness at leaving my daughter, coming back to a hectic week, etc.) and it never blossomed into a full-fledged headache.

Is this the beginning of not repressing feelings and allowing the symptoms to come and go without too much fear? Time will tell!

birdsetfree and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

The principles behind our recoveries are the same but our mileage does vary.
    I think that kind of awareness about your daughter and not being ecstatic about returning to a hectic week are UBER important. Even if a symptom showed up, continued awareness and concerted focus on those (which are 'real' so to speak) will eventually banish the symptoms.

Symptoms are there to KEEP us from feeling those. When we intentionally go there, the symptoms become useless...and stop.