1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Strange Elbow Pain & TMS Return

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eightball776, Mar 22, 2016.

1. eightball776

eightball776 Well known member

Hey All,

I've been a "TMS sufferer" on and off for nearly 20 years now, and after a long period of remission, the lower back pain nailed me again a few years ago. I'm still struggling with it, and can't understand why I was able to banish it completely when I was 23 after seeing Dr. Sarno, yet 17 years later I am back down the rabbit hole. The latest issue is this strange elbow pain that's appeared out of nowhere. It has an odd consistency, as though there's a giant zit underneath the skin and is extremely tender if I put any weight on it. It feels 'dermatological' almost, but I can't always 'activate' it or find the exact spot to press on. Therefore any doctor examination has been inconclusive.

My two questions are (1) does this symptom seem outside the normal consistency for a TMS symptom? I know lots of folks report elbow pain, but more of a tendonitis. I suppose I'll eventually get around to some imaging studies, but I am suspicious - anyone experience something similar?
    (2) Any advice for 're-activating' whatever part of my psyche was able to conquer this so many years ago? I am 100% convinced the back pain is psychosomatic in nature, and am extremely self-aware. Yet I continue to live like I have a severe debilitating disability, ping-ponging on and off various medications to treat the symptoms out of desperation. Re-reading the book isn't enough.

Thanks for any advice!